Lake Michigan ferry fight rages in Washington

News

The Ludington Badger has outlasted ALL the carferries on Lk. Mich. to date. It's a great ship to sail, not fast, but steady, sturdy, beautiful, consistent, safe, and fun! Those staterooms are a gas too, and privacy is not compromised. I crossed on the competition last year, and wasn't impressed with the 2 hour rough voyage. NO PRIVACY either! That ship can't hold a candle to the Badger. And yet they have their claws out to destroy our Ludington ship, and why? There is plenty of customers for both ships, and plenty of revenue too. Why hire DC gangsters to destroy your competition? I think the Express boat's owners should just mind their own business, and live and let live, imho.

I think instead of spending money on lobbyist the badger should use the money to figure out how to quit polluting our waters and the issue would quite down .Everyone I know loves the boat but hates the pollution it produces.

I heard earlier this season that the Lake Michigan Carferry owners did install more pollution equipment, about $300K worth is what I heard. So, they are making an expensive effort imho. And more will be installed next season too from local reports. When you fire coal for a fuel, there has to be some smoke. Reducing that emission is good for everyone concerned I agree.

I think instead of spending money on lobbyist the badger should use the money to figure out how to quit polluting our waters and the issue would quite down .Everyone I know loves the boat but hates the pollution it produces.

I agree!

I heard earlier this season that the Lake Michigan Carferry owners did install more pollution equipment, about $300K worth is what I heard. So, they are making an expensive effort imho. And more will be installed next season too from local reports. When you fire coal for a fuel, there has to be some smoke. Reducing that emission is good for everyone concerned I agree.

The smoke isn't near as big of a problem as the tons of coal ash it dumps into the lake every single day.

Why hire DC gangsters to destroy your competition? I think the Express boat's owners should just mind their own business, and live and let live, imho.

From the article...

"Both sides have given generously to federal lawmakers who champion their cause. And the Badger vehemently fought the launching of Lake Express a decade ago"

Dan, there are also plans from the last 2 years to start off-loading the coal ash in Manitowoc, Wi.. It will then be trucked upland somewhere. That deal should start next season if all reports are accurate. The reason the Lake Mich. Carferry fought Lake Express 10 years ago was that they got subsidization from the State of Michigan, or some loans, that made their venture possible with public funds to start with. The Badger is strictly funded by private corporate ownership. Hope that helps in your opinions. Thanks.