Snubbers on Downriggers

I use them and like them. I mostly like the thought of relieving some of the strain on the line if I somehow drop the ball or drag it along the bottom. Also makes it easier on the hands if you have to reach out pull the ball in. I use a heavier snubber than the one on my dipsies, can't remember the brand name.

Boltman, attach between end of rigger cable and ball.

Better question is what type of cable are you running on your riggers? I say this because Ive had problems in the past breaking cable, so I switched to 200 lb spectra deep sea braid fishing line, its very quiet, smooth, and doesn't break. But I do run snubbers on the back side of my cannon balls to my release clips, I like the elastic pull for hook sets down at the ball.

I am amazed, I run 14# balls and have not lost a ball, except when someone brings the ball out of the water in rough conditions, or stops and drops too fast. I run 150# wire, Band buster releases and #33 rubberbands. In rough conditions u need to make sure u stop the ball 3 to 4 feet below the surgace, or you get the yo yo bounce and that will break cables.

Like the idea of using snubbers on the release at the ball. I'll have to try that.

As for snubbers for the downrigger ball, use the Dreamweaver. So much nicer to handle at the boat.

Heh, I actually misread the original post, I never had problems with the cannon ball breaking. Ive run big jon and cannon riggers. I always got tired of losing fish from too much slack in the line to the rigger. So in my attempt to tighten up the line, I then got tired of sending them down to 100 feet then having the line release from being to tight or wavy having to bring it all back up and reset. So one day I added a snubber an never went back. It allows for a little give and something to grab when pulling the cannon ball in the boat or setting a line. Never got a problem with small fish not releasing either.

So is the snubber from the ball to the release clip or the rigger cable to the ball. I'm confused?

Actually both. The original post was referring to snubbers at the cannon ball cable to the cannon ball. I think I confused everyone from my comment as I use snubbers from the cannon ball to the release. While I've had no experience with a snubber in the cable attachment to the cannon ball, I've used them from the cannon ball to the release, specifically for the reasons in my previous comment. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm still intrigued of the idea of a snubber from the cable to the ball and am definitely going to use a snubber from the ball to the release. I use the Scotty release clips which might make the release line a little long unless I just replace the release line with the snubber. Hmmmm

I'm still intrigued of the idea of a snubber from the cable to the ball and am definitely going to use a snubber from the ball to the release. I use the Scotty release clips which might make the release line a little long unless I just replace the release line with the snubber. Hmmmm

Not familiar with the Scotty clips but I used a standard snubber with an offshore release. The extra length was nice setting up the lines. I didn't have to reach that far over the side with my set up.