Planer board diving when fish hit

Anybody ever have there planer boards dive when a fish hits them? This weekend was the first time I have had a real issue with this. Lost 3 fish due to our boards diving before we could get to the rods. Can anybody help me out on this one? Im using church planer boards i believe they are tx-22's.

My son had set 150 copper and just as he's putting it in the tree the boards takes off and dives , normal on big fish. I have had them disappear many times on the way in on heavy fish . Other thing you could do is set them to release but then you chance knocking off the fish too. either way its a PIA.

I've been using the church walleye boards for years and we've never had one dive when a fish hits yet.

My experience exactly. Most times when the board dives it is because you are trying to lift up with your rod tip. Keep the rod tip low and apply side way pressure. Even big Kings won't keep it up long.

Anybody ever have there planer boards dive when a fish hits them? This weekend was the first time I have had a real issue with this. Lost 3 fish due to our boards diving before we could get to the rods. Can anybody help me out on this one? Im using church planer boards i believe they are tx-22's.

We had similar issues with the TX22 and switched back to walleye boards with the weight pushed all the way forward for coppers up to 250'. Any coppers over 250' get TX-44.

Keep your rod tips as high as possible in your rod holders when trolling, then keep your rod tips as low as possible when you are fighting a fish, like pointing into the water.

I made some changes to my TX44 boards this year and I like the improvements. I have fished them in a variety of conditions and they worked well. So here you go I am calling this project done and you can have the results.

1st remove the front release and discard it replace with a OR16 and split ring.

2nd on the bottom edge draw a line between the screws that hold the front and rear weight. Measure from the back of the board 6 and 3/8 in and mark the line there. Then mark 3 spots in front of that mark and 3 spots behind it 3/8 of a in apart. Drill each mark out with a 1/16 bit. Now either trim the foam or just jam both weights on top of each other so the center screw hole lines up with the center hole in the 7 holes you just drilled. You now have a very neutral board that will track very well and pulls in nicely. And tows a 300 copper like it is not there for a 450 move the weights ahead one hole if you want but it will track a 450 pretty good without changing it. For a 600 move one or 2 holes forward I use one but you might like 2 better.

The OR16 with split ring adds about 3/4 in to the overall arm length for the release which makes it dig better and run much wider. On a calm day your board will actually run along side the boat up to 50ft off to the side not behind it at a angle.

post-1428-14498788026394_thumb.jpg

post-1428-14498788026593_thumb.jpg

post-1428-1449878802671_thumb.jpg

As for Walleye boards and TX22's I don't use them so no mods for them. My walleye boards went in the wife's yard sale after 4 or 5 trips and I have never tried a TX22 but I have over 20 different boards for my boat each has a purpose and is set for what I pull with it. The idea is to balance the weight of the line and lure with the board so it pulls clean and wide.

I've had all kinds of trouble with the tx44 board. I've played with Mainiac mods a little and I'm going to go a step further. With my offshore boards its pretty rare for it too dive and when it does it usually pops right back up. The tx44 board is a different story. With my offshore boards I have did the homebrew tattle tale mod and use the snapper release for walleye's.

As for Walleye boards and TX22's I don't use them so no mods for them. My walleye boards went in the wife's yard sale after 4 or 5 trips and I have never tried a TX22 but I have over 20 different boards for my boat each has a purpose and is set for what I pull with it. The idea is to balance the weight of the line and lure with the board so it pulls clean and wide.

Jim, Good info. :thumb:

Great post Jim. I am gonna give the new release a try. I have jammed my weights as far forward as possible, but still doesn't pull the way it should with a 300 copper. Never thought of stacking the weights on each other. Better balance for sure.

Thanks....Jake