Please be careful guys!

This is a very unfortunate and scary vessel mishap that happened Sunday night about 9:30pm in a fog bank near shore, in Ludington. The 33' Tiara "Reel People" was apparently going too fast and also lost radar and all electronics coming back from fishing. I hope this hits home for all of us that we must use good judgement and calm when returning to port. Don't be in a hurry and use caution at all times. Celebrate your trip after you return, not on the water. Thanks to Willy for the wonderful pictures.

post-3084-1449878802309_thumb.jpg

post-3084-14498788023172_thumb.jpg

Most importantly, the crew and capts. were not seriously hurt. It may have been totally fatal for anyone aboard, or all! This hasn't happened in a couple 2-3 years around here. But it shows, it can happen to anyone. To err on the side of caution and safety is always my rule on the water.

Firstly, I am happy to hear that all involved are okay, with no SERIOUS injuries.

Secondly, this IMO was an avoidable accident. I read about the Capt. turning on his radar and losing all electronics, along with a hint of fog in the picture. Put it all together, and 25-35MPH in the dark is plain stupidity.

Before my chart plotter I had issues coming in at night. I never felt as though I could see near as much as I cared for. I would use extreme caution and come into the piers slowly. With my chart plotter I feel better coming in, but I still go nice and slow.

Glad everyone was alright

I agree never come into pier heads fast at night and I always run 1/2 mile offshore and sqaure up to the lights on the piers

I run with a plotter and radar and lasiks hahaha and still go slow I don't get it the lighthouse was to his Starboard side , that's just wrong and up on plane , does anyone else ride out along the shore .???? I don't really like the dry ramp!!!!

Boltmans

The captain in question should of had his radar on as required by law when operating in restricted visibility and also required on commercial vessels.

He turned it on, at which point his electronics failed

He turned it on, at which point his electronics failed

I was out fishing the evening the accident took place and there was fog to the south about 3 miles friends of mine who came in at the same time reported visibility of at least 2 miles coming in fro the north.The law requires all commercial vessels that have radar to use it at all times so why was he just supposedly turning it on while running in the dark?

I have known the captain of the boat for years and know he is technologically challenged when it comes to electronics.Even if his equipment failed he should of reduced his speed and tried to orientate himself as to exactly where he was.

I have seen many boats over my 35+ years of being a slip holder in Ludington crash the walls and I personally believe that they get fixatated on the lights of the stub piers and that's how they end up in trouble.

Just a another example of people not following the basic tenants of boating rules of the road which state when operating in reduced visibility you should also reduce your speed.

I was out fishing the evening the accident took place and there was fog to the south about 3 miles friends of mine who came in at the same time reported visibility of at least 2 miles coming in fro the north.The law requires all commercial vessels that have radar to use it at all times so why was he just supposedly turning it on while running in the dark?

I have known the captain of the boat for years and know he is technologically challenged when it comes to electronics.Even if his equipment failed he should of reduced his speed and tried to orientate himself as to exactly where he was.

I have seen many boats over my 35+ years of being a slip holder in Ludington crash the walls and I personally believe that they get fixatated on the lights of the stub piers and that's how they end up in trouble.

Just a another example of people not following the basic tenants of boating rules of the road which state when operating in reduced visibility you should also reduce your speed.

Heard from numerous others the stub pier lights can be confusing.

simmer down people, no drugs or drink involved ? he wants to get his people in and on the way asap . yep probably if it was your tiara on the rocks you would say yep should have done something different. make it a learning thing and dont kick him any more while he is down. i cant take any more of this story that has nothing to do with catching fish good luck and god bless all :)

simmer down people, no drugs or drink involved ? he wants to get his people in and on the way asap . yep probably if it was your tiara on the rocks you would say yep should have done something different. make it a learning thing and dont kick him any more while he is down. i cant take any more of this story that has nothing to do with catching fish good luck and god bless all :)

And that's a problem. Boating is a big part of the fishing activity and a much more critical part when it comes to your personal well-being. There are far too many fishermen that have questionable knowledge, skill and most of all, solid judgment when it comes to boating. I've met that captain and would say his knowledge and skill is likely adequate. Obviously, his judgment that evening wasn't for whatever reason and he would give anything for a "do-over". That doesn't matter. The point is people's lives are at stake, not only on that boat but on every other boat in the area at that time. So, we can all chat about fishing and pretend stuff like this isn't a hazard for every one of us on the water. The next person to use poor judgment may run over your boat at 25 mph as opposed to hitting a wall. A Baja cruiser on Lake St. Clair did just that a few weeks ago. One dead, several injured. Given these types of incidents, there should be a little more dialog on the subject of seamanship. It really does go hand in hand with our primary activity of trolling.

And that's a problem. Boating is a big part of the fishing activity and a much more critical part when it comes to your personal well-being. There are far too many fishermen that have questionable knowledge, skill and most of all, solid judgment when it comes to boating. I've met that captain and would say his knowledge and skill is likely adequate. Obviously, his judgment that evening wasn't for whatever reason and he would give anything for a "do-over". That doesn't matter. The point is people's lives are at stake, not only on that boat but on every other boat in the area at that time. So, we can all chat about fishing and pretend stuff like this isn't a hazard for every one of us on the water. The next person to use poor judgment may run over your boat at 25 mph as opposed to hitting a wall. A Baja cruiser on Lake St. Clair did just that a few weeks ago. One dead, several injured. Given these types of incidents, there should be a little more dialog on the subject of seamanship. It really does go hand in hand with our primary activity of trolling.

Well put. It will also show, no matter how much experience you have, there is always a chance for error. Be safe out there guys!

Play Dough, that's the entire point I'm making here. Just think of all the break wall walkers and fisherman that could also have been hit in this accident. Luckily, they must have traversed back to shore when they felt the cold fog on their skin. I'm not making any rush to judgment on that Capt. yet, as we don't know the entire story. After the USCG makes their investigation for all known, in detail, and with facts, then I will offer my take on the accident with more clarity. Until then, we should probably not rush to final judgment. But, as we all know, some basic rules of the road appear to have been ignored, as safety was lost in this particular case for unknown reasons yet.

• 1 month later...

I'd think it'd be hard pressed to overstate the importance of boating safety, while some understand this and practice safety on and off the water, some don't.

This thread helps reminds us what happens when boating safety is ignored or disregarded.

These cases are not accidents, they are driver errors, and can be avoided.

Thanks for posting and reminding us what happens when we have a mental slip.

al