Frankfort - Targeting Coho

If you wanted to go out and specifically target Coho, what kind of program would you run? I figured most likely you would keep lines high (2 color, no color long line, rigger at 20).

what our your favorite baits? Do coho like things faster or slow moving than kings?

Just trying to make my fishing skills more rounded. I'm getting better at targeting steelhead!

Justin

West platte bay. Last yeAr I fished there about this time through mid September. 40 to 60 fow. Plugs that glow usually smaller size plugs, but regular size also work. Glow flasher and flies work great as well. After sun up I usually switch to small plugs and supper slim spoons. Chartreuse and bronze are good colors. Red dots on a silver spoon can be deadly as well, and of course orange is always good for coho. Riggers, core, divers, all the same as a king program. As far as speed goes, I don't usually alter my speed for coho. 2.5 is the norm. Keep it slower cuz usually there is lots of kings there too. I found out the hard way platte bays can be fickle for coho. One day ten fish box, next day u get skunked. Good luck hope this helps

You dont need to fish up high if the water is warm, we catch most of them down deep, small spinnies and peanut flys, minni stingers, small plugs, all work well, we took like 9 or 10 in the last 4 trips, and all came deep, a few over 100 ft down on rigger.

Thank you Trina that information is helpful. We fished the Benzie Frenzie this passed weekend and had a hard time getting 10 fish. On Sunday we had to cases where boats next to us were bringing in fish and fish, and we only managed 2. On area was West Platte. We worked the 90-130 side of the drop off.

Justin

Thank you Trina that information is helpful. We fished the Benzie Frenzie this passed weekend and had a hard time getting 10 fish. On Sunday we had to cases where boats next to us were bringing in fish and fish, and we only managed 2. On area was West Platte. We worked the 90-130 side of the drop off.

Justin

justin how was the fishing overall ? i looked for results of the frenzie but they are not online yet.

went over on a non fishing trip yesterday very slow. most boats had one that was cought right around 6 am then nothing. no one fishing the harbor though and some guys who got 2 out deep dropped lines on way in after seeing lots of marks in the harbor. they had 3 hits that they could not stick and then had to get home.fishing here in tc about the same best i have heard is 3 tourny this weekend.

fished west platte again monday morning. Pulled two kings on glow j plugs early. 70 fow and again in 60 fow. 30 down on a rigger and one on a four core. Fog got bad so i left. Lots of marks between 40 and 90 fow. A spot i frequently fish is 1/2 mile east of where the houses end along the beach. troll east until you hit 40 fow and turn out. Keep circling in there and you usually will do pretty well if there are coho around.