Run hot n tots and lots of j plugs stack ur riggers with a spoon on top plug on bottom. Don't set them any farther than 10-15 feet apart. I believe you can catch fish without copper and lead core despite what you read. We started running 1 lead core and haven't caught a fish on it yet. So if I was u I would stick to riggers and high lines.

Good luck and keep ur rods bent.

I agree j-plugs are the go-to lure for big kings. I myself use a lot of long lines I.e copper,leadcore.. I've started from the beginning with only Riggers. Then it progressed to lead-core then more lead-core. Then copper came out and I started to accumulate copper set-ups. I'm not saying that long lines produce the most fish, it's just some days they are on fire! And some days they are better left out of the water. My theory is I'd rather have it and try it then not having it at all. With that being said if I were to start from the beginning with what I know now I would have this.. At least 2 riggers(some run 4) 1-wire dipsey, 1-braided dipsey, 250,300,350 coppers. 10 color, 7 color, 5 color. Lead core. Run lead core of port side, and copper of starboard side. And start accumulating your basic lure colors.. This will take time to get unless you've got $$. But if your a serious catchermen, what I've listed will bring you fish. Good luck newbie

I'm 17 also but have been doing it since I was born. Run j plugs on riggers down 10-15ft around the piers when the fish start to run we also will put them on dipsey's too. Also short long lines like 150 copper or 3 color leadcore. Out farther this time of year when the mature fish are still out there we are using pretty much our regular "summer time" set up with 6 coppers/leadcores out, riggers and dipsey's but you sertainly don't need to run that many rods I only run 6 total when I fish out of my smaller boat. I prefer copper over leadcore they seem to catch us more fish. For beginning big lake guys i recommend to use meat rigs because they always seem to get bites. So be sure to run meat rigs and j plugs this time of year they will catch you bigger fish. Good luck and go catch some of those big boys!

Thanks this is my 3rd year total and I run 4 riggers 2 led and a diver. I have had beat luck with my riggers some luck on the led but no luck on my divers ever. Any specific diver tips I

Can get??

Black mag diver set at 1.5 with a 10' leader and a Flounder Pounder.

There is no way to get all the answers to all the ??? in one fail swoop! Time and experience will settle you in to what works best for you. I've been doing this some 40 yrs now and can tell you what works for one doesnt always work for another just far to many variables! DO as much reading on the subject as you can there are tons of resources. You gotta understand conditions! I do quite well on dipsey's and run as many as 6 (2 off each side and 2 down middle) normally run 4 at all times Flies and spin doctors mostly. But specific to this time of year plugs hot n tots, rapalas IMHO are best with meat and spoons often out produce everything, so spread a variety and chnge accordingly. Colors remain consistant year in and year out for the most part but there are days when the norm doesnt apply . So to start basic "norm colors" Blues, greens, yellows and orange for spoons plugs and flies flashers as well although flasher chrome chartreuse and mtdw (both dif greens in my book). Because of the combat fishing this time of the yr in the channels and such do not run lead or copper your only going to tangle and piss people off (unless out away from the crowds), I stick to riggers and mayb a diver or two not far back say 50-70 ft or so. But I dont fish in the combat anymore to much of a PITA for me. If you are going to combat just remember run everything short as to not get into others gear! My typical set up this time of year is 2 dipseys of side one at 3 and one at 1.5. 4 riggers at varied depths (again the water tells me what depth) I run sliders on 2 outside riggers. one lead down middle. all will have plugs spoons or flies as I dont fish a lot of meat. Sometimes I will remove my lead and fish 2 dipsey's straight off the back set a .5 or one but only if the flie bite seems to be hot on the other dipseys dont recommend until you got some legs on the water as it can be difficult to run 6 divers. But the above should give you an Idea and how I'd start. Again this is just me and how I run my simplest set up. with out getting into copper and multiple leads on planners and such these long lines are awesome but again personally I'd start with riggers, couple divers and one lead down the shoot, build from there. This is a grea site with many very knowledgable folks so you will prob get many dif answers. But alawys remeber what work for one doesnt mean it will for another.You will be the one to figure that out for your boat. Read read read and spend as much time doing it as possible ,thats the true answer. but some basics like above will give ya a start I hope! One of the absolute best ways to figure stuff out is hitch a ride or hire a charter off this site-- that one day or multiple day will pay back 100 fold!!!!Good luck

If you do plan on fishing shallow 2 rigs I do we'll on are 1lb weights with plugs and slide divers. I let out 75ft of line, clip on weight w/snap weight release then lower weight to desired depth. Slide divers are great in shallow, set on 4 with plugs or flashers/flys. Downriggers are great but, the 1 lb weights are more stealthy on tougher days.