Tournaments - Entry Fees - Gas - Winnings

This can be for big tournaments, or club tournaments.

It costs money to fish. It costs money to enter a tournament. If tackle is lost, it needs to be replaced. Every now and then, you get lucky and win some money?

How do you split the entry fee, gas, and winnings?

Most tournament teams will split all winnings and costs 3 or 4 or 5 ways; depending on the number of crew members fishing in the tournament. There is then another stipend taken out for the boat payment or boat use or whatever. So, if you have 4 crew members, 5 shares of the winnings will be taken out; 4 for the crew and 1 for the boat.

Many PRO boats have sponsors who pay for everything and the crew splits the winnings. They also take a share out for the boat use, etc. Other PRO boats may receive a tournament check at the beginning of the year and that team can use the check for whatever they want, whenever they want, but when it is gone, it is gone.

Mainly, most tournament teams, split the costs and winnings equally with an additional share taken out for the boat.

My Boat Is 100%paid For As Is Tackle And Equipment So If We Do Not Split Entry And Fuel It Is Paid For First Out Of The Winnings And The Rest Is Split Equaly If The Entry And Feul Is Split The Winnings Is Split Equaly Among Me And The Crew

BUT MOST OF THE TOURNEMENT I FISH ARE VERY LOW ENTRY FEE AND MOSTLY FOR FUN

My 2006 crew didn't pay a dime all year. Just the kind of Captain I am.

I didn't expect them too, they offered every time and I refused every time.

They wanted to fish and didn't care about any "money".

If in fact I took a prize it went to the boat.

GLF subbed for me on 1 event last year and stuffed 20 bucks in my hand before we even got on the boat. I was actually going to stuff it back in the gas door of his truck and tell him about it later but didn't.

We took a 3rd (I think it was 50.00) and I bought a Keating on Kings book from him after the event. (I would have bought the book anyway, told him to bring me a copy) It just made it easier to buy after he contributed to a win!

My point is. I'm going out there to fish, its going to cost me gas, gear, and entry anyway. I don't expect my crew to put into my fun, and if we take dough, it goes to the boat!

My point.

I only fish little tourneys/events 15.00 buy ins and am not going to the poor house to fish. I'm paying for gas to go there and fish, and paying for gas to use on my boat anyway! On the other hand from these little tourneys I'm not going to be able to retire on the "winnings".

Any winnings go to the boat, and if I fish on someone elses boat expect the same!

T

I take gas moneys from people however in the 15 yr of my own that ive been doing this and the total of 30 year with my father that we have been doing it you always, and I mean always, come out in the negative numbers when you add all of your expenses up. If you go into this thinking your going to come out on top with expenses you might just as well get out now. Dad always said no matter how you slice it a Boat is a hole in the water you dump money in. But if you love it like most of us do you will make it work. Just make sure the guys you fish with are stand up guys and willing to split all the cost of a trip.

• 3 weeks later...

1st off... If you are fishing tournaments to make a buck, you are in it for the wrong reasons and should give up tournaments all together. I am a charter fisherman first and fish tournaments out of necessity (sponsor exposure). We have won a few pro tournaments on the trail over the last two years and have very little to show for it (monetary-wise), except for a solid resume for potential sponsors. Tournaments, as they stand now, are for fun and bragging rights... not for monetary gain. If you'd like to enter a tournament where the potential prize equals the entry fee plan a trip to mexico... http://www.bisbees.com/

1st off... If you are fishing tournaments to make a buck, you are in it for the wrong reasons and should give up tournaments all together.

I could not agree with you more on this.

Club tournaments are a GREAT place for members to get together and have a good time.

I run charters during tournaments. My guests have the option of entering or not. If they want, we go in as equal partners, or they can opt to just hire me and Sporty and if we were to get lucky enough for some dough they can have it all.

I run for the charter fees, the rest is just for the fun and excitement of the competion.

I run charters during tournaments. My guests have the option of entering or not. If they want, we go in as equal partners, or they can opt to just hire me and Sporty and if we were to get lucky enough for some dough they can have it all.

I run for the charter fees, the rest is just for the fun and excitement of the competion.

Last year was my first year fishing in a league and I really enjoyed it. The fun and excitment of the competition is a blast. Plus, even if I opt not to run a tournament, I always like to go see the weigh-ins.

If you fish on my boat, it costs you $0. Just bring your own food and drink.

I cover all tournament fees, gas, launch fees, and tackle. Occasionally someone will beat me to a launch fee, but that's it.

If we should be so fortunate to place in the money, or win "Big Fish", my rules are the boat takes all prize money. I don't care if you reeled in all the fish, the money goes to the boat.

I will take the prize money and pay myself for the the entry fee and one tank of gasoline (about $40). This allows me to fish another tournament. The rest is split evenly between the crew. I think this is fair. I feel it is important to pay the crew something if possible, I believe it brings me future good luck.

I figure I'm fishing anyway with or without you. There is no increase in my operating cost if there is someone else on the boat.

• 4 months later...

I agree with basically everyone and the way we do it is everything is split evenly but as mentioned any winnings get split 5 ways for our 4 man team the boats gets its share, but then again if I decide to pay for everything I keep all the winnings fair is fair, I have not met anyone who didnt like the method of the boat getting its share, and in most cases even if some money was won the guys didnt even want it because most realize that fishing for 3-4 days for a couple hundred bucks is a steal considering that in some cases that wont even buy you a days charter..

• 3 weeks later...

All costs are split evenly, if we win something substantial, say over $1,000, I knock some off the bill. Otherwise I (or the boat really) keep all winnings, make improvements to the boat, and the crew gets something nicer to fish out of. Like Cstar said, my crew realizes fishing for a few days for a couple hundred bucks is a steal. We've also talked about the boat taking half and splitting the rest.

I'd like to be able to cover all costs but at $450-$650 per tournament, it's just not possible for me.