Best reels/rods for the money

Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade some of my old reels and I am wondering what are the best reels in the $50-100 price range. I obviously cant afford any tekotas so what do you recommend? I have heard a lot about the okuma convectors. Does anyone have anything they like/dislike about those? or is there a better option than the convectors? The reasons I am upgrading is mostly because of the poor drags on the older reels. Its hard to get the line to start coming off the reel but when it does start it rips off too easily.

Also, though not as much of a concern to me, is rods. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best rod for the money? To me rods really don't seem like that big of an issue as long as they aren't to flimsy, but maybe others think differently.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

What kind of reels are you using now?

I've been using Daiwa SG47LC3B reels. They're usually a little over $100/reel though.

For rods, its hard to beat the Eagle Claw Starfire Trolling Rods although they're definitely are some other cheap rods that will work just fine. Maybe take a look at Ugly Sticks as well for cheap rods that stand up to big lake trolling.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Eagle-Claw-Starfire-Trolling-Rods/704793.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DSalmon%2Btrolling%2Brods%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Salmon+trolling+rods&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you have decent reels now, but they are older and the drags are worn, you can replace the drag washers. Sounds like a lot of people like the drags Tuna Tom's carries. You can find their store online.

The Daiwa SG reels are great -- I have many that are 15 years old and aside from keeping them clean with new line, have not needed any repairs. The new Daiwa Accudepth Plus-B are a step down but now have bearings and are nice for the money. They come in a variety of sizes too. Convectors have a good reputation but I just don't like the feel of them.

What are your old reels? If it is just the drags causing issues, putting in new drag washers is pretty easy to do yourself or get them done by a place like Tuna Toms. Can make old reels feel like new.

I used to use VERY old penn reels from the 70-80s and madga pros. Convectors blow them away. The drags are nice.

The best price is from northwoods

for downriggers/wire divers: $65

http://northwoodsoutlet.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2093

Copper(up to 450 copper): $75

http://northwoodsoutlet.net/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=78_173_177&product_id=2099

If you have decent reels now, but they are older and the drags are worn, you can replace the drag washers. Sounds like a lot of people like the drags Tuna Tom's carries. You can find their store online.

I send a few old reels to Tuna Tom almost every year. They do good work!

My current reels are the diawa great lakes 47lc, diawa accudepth 47, okuma magna pro, and a couple of old penn reels

Tuna Tom can fix the drags on the Daiwas and significantly upgrade the Madga Pro and Penns for around $15 each.

Tuna Tom is in Ludington and the web site is: http://www.tunasreeltroubles.com/

Give Tom (or probably Paulie) a call at (231) 907-0052 and see what kind of turn around they can do. I don't usually send mine in the summer, but 2 or 3 day turnaround is possible if they are not overwhelmed with rush jobs.

Diawa 47's and 57's last forever and work very well. The medium to higher end Okuma's are nice as well. Old Penns are cool ,and work very well, but not so hot trying to keep up with a Steelhead coming atcha at 20mph.

Thanks every one! I will probably check out Tuna Tom, I've heard a lot about him before this post too. If anyone has any recommendations on the best reels to buy let me know! Thanks again! :thumb:

cabelas has there model of the daiwa sealine reels on sale right now. the daiwa sealine lc5 which has 5 ball bearings and they are very smooth. the price right now for the 17 lc5 or the 27 lc5 for 89.99 each. I have the older daiwa sealine sg17lca reels and they have worked flawlessly for me.

Magda's are not so great. Convectors are good and I really like the Cold Water series.

The Diawa's are good too. I have 3 old Penns that refuse to die.

For rods I don't think you can beat the value presented by the Traverse Bay Tackle brand sold at MC Sports up in Traverse City. I think it's a private label line for that store only. The quality is great and the price for both Dipsey and rigger rods is as good as I've found on anything, anywhere.

Magda's are not so great. Convectors are good and I really like the Cold Water series.

The Diawa's are good too. I have 3 old Penns that refuse to die.

For rods I don't think you can beat the value presented by the Traverse Bay Tackle brand sold at MC Sports up in Traverse City. I think it's a private label line for that store only. The quality is great and the price for both Dipsey and rigger rods is as good as I've found on anything, anywhere.

thanks heaterman now they will raise the price and sell out, the cats out of the bag. i have only used the rigger rods and yes i love them.

I love my convectors, but I found that the Cablela's Line Counter reels are really very good. They go on sale for about 40 bucks every season end. I got several and after 2 seasons all I do is clean and oil them. Drags are smooth and the linecounters are fair.

You can find the Okuma Cold Water reels in the various sizes from about $85-95 on Amazon or E-Bay.

I bought a couple new Convectors this spring and the drag went to pieces on one during the second trip.

I was told that the Convector and Cold Water have the same "guts" but can't say if that's true or not. The Magda is definitely a class below either of them.

• 1 month later...
You can find the Okuma Cold Water reels in the various sizes from about $85-95 on Amazon or E-Bay.

I bought a couple new Convectors this spring and the drag went to pieces on one during the second trip.

I was told that the Convector and Cold Water have the same "guts" but can't say if that's true or not. The Magda is definitely a class below either of them.

The working inner components in a coldwater are not interchangeable with a convector, I like to tinker. 1 Tuna can fix almost anything. 2 you should be able to find coldwaters on walmarts website super cheep, BTW Okuma gives you the most bang for the buck in rods and reels, their Classic Pro rods are fantastic for next to nothing

• 2 months later...

I have a few Penn GT's which are great but more expensive than I want to spend. I use all Convectors other than 2 Penn's and have had no issues. For rods I have a mix, and would say Talora are amazing but pricey. They are by far my best planer board rod. Next would be Okuma GLT, and Im personally not a fan of the TDR for planer board rods. Dipsy I have Ugly Stik BWDD, and Daiwa Heartland. I like the Ugly Stik, and just got the Heartlands so I dont know about those yet. Rigger rods are 20 years old and I dont even know what they are.

I know mixing planer board rods typically isnt good, but I have vertical trees that it doesnt make a big difference. Just wish I could afford more Taloras.

Btw I fish 12-20 times a year on LM. The rest is walleye trolling and perching.