Just wondering on different techniques for using two planer boards (or more) on one side. I know the shorter line needs to be out towards the side the furthest and the longer core or copper to the inside. However, what I don't know is how to avoid tangles when the outside one goes off. It obviously wants to run across the inside board. Just wondering if using two different types of boards will help or if there is other strategies I am unaware of. Thanks for any help.

I run 2 boards with leadcore on each side. If a fish hits the outside we reel in the inside in a little so we can get by without tangles. Then to reset we let that board back to its spot and then put the inside board back where it was.

Most of the time when you have a fish on an outside board the added drag will pull the board back and closer to the center. Fish also generally come closer to the surface during the fight and should pass over your inside lines. There will be times when big fish get into your other board lines but the majority of times this isn't the case.

I run 3-4 boards a side sometimes. I haven't had a fish hit the outside board and tangle with an inside board yet. Just try to keep them separated by 20 ft or more horizontally (let more line out on the outside board)

I currently run Walleye Boards.

Very helpful to run different depth rigs on a side together, with the shallower running rig always to the outside. For example, 7 color on outside & full core on inside. When a fish hits the outside they are already higher in the water and will tend to rise higher yet when hooked, and normally clear over top of your inside rig during the fight. This will greatly reduce your tangle risk.

If you're like me when I started running multiple planers, you're probably also wondering: If I get a fish on the outside planer, get it reeled in, how do I get the planer back out (on the outside) without tangling with my existing inside planer? I asked that on a post like this several years ago and what I was told has worked:

- First to minimize risk you can temporarily reel your inside planer in a ways to get it closer to the boat.

- Once your planer going back in is attached, feed out the line "freespool" with just the clicker on and your pole tip pointing straight back. This will prevent the planer from "grabbing" and swinging over.

- Once you get the planer straight back and out well beyond your existing inside planer, you can start to thumb the spool and/or click you spool lever and let it swing it over your existing inside line. You can always err on the side of caution and let extra out and later reel some back in once it's swung over.

- Once it's out you can let your inside planer back out to it's original position.

Good luck!

So do you use the same boards on each side? For instance, running 2 walleye boards on the same side should be no problem, correct? Thanks for replying!

You don't have to run the same boards, but it does make it easier to keep your spread in line once you start using 3 or more per side. As long as you have enough separation side to side you will be fine.

Thank you all very much for your detailed and experienced insight. I plan on running four walleye boards with all different lengths of lead core. I am hoping with the knowledge that you all have shared with me, I can execute it without much difficulty. Again, thank you to all who responded.

Best of luck on the water!