Meat Rig Discussion

Someone changed my status, now I'm a seasoned veteran..... I don't think so , I consider myself a lucky bastard rookie still.... So let's talk Meat Rigs ..... I've just started using them once.... And need help , like what to run them on, how far back when do you change out the meat .... And when do you give up the bite and go home .....Rookie here let's talk gentlemen .

I run them on everything except the 150 copper. My divers with meat have been my best rods this year.

On my riggers. I run them pretty tight. 10-25'.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

I almost always run a spin doctor with a meat rig on my wire divers. Last few trips a big white paddle with a blu moo meat rig on the 300 copper has been great for us. Sometimes I'll drop one deep on a rigger. So yeah, pretty much anywhere besides the real high lines

Dipsys and coppers for my meat rigs. Time to time I will put one on a rigger too, but the divers and coppers have been the best with meat.

There is a meat plug I like to run on a rigger or a 10 color, it's called the Scarpace rig. I have several patterns, meat coupled with the plug can be hot too. :thumb:

Riggers dipsys and 300 copper's all get meat at times, just remember to slow down. U can't troll 3 mph with those rigs. Lately we have had a really good Silver Horde bite in St Joe. We have taken Kings, Lakers and Steelhead on Green and blue Splatterback and Wonderbread. 10 color and 4 color both and off deep riggers.

While we're on this subject, what do all you veterans use? Does everyone use fresh or brined alewives/herring or do you use artificial strips such as BTB dipped in herring oil? I'd like to know as it's not always easy to get the real stuff.

My two wire divers almost always have meat rigs on them and are in the water every trip. They almost always take bigger fish too and there is nothing better than a decent King hitting meat on a wire diver.

I mainly use the Erie Dearie Premium strips (ballyhoo) but will usually put a strip on one and a whole brined herring or alewife on the other. If one is getting hit and the other isn't, then I put the active type of bait on the other one too.

The key to meat rigs is getting the right roll. slow and seductive is what you want, 1 -2 rolls per second.

I use john king meat rigs mostly, i like them a little better then big weenies. Also the 10 and 12 inch meat paddles from john king or the big weenie look a likes are good. I dont like spin doctors with meat.

I also mix up strips and whole bait. Fresh does work but brined holds up better.

I dont like spin doctors with meat.

I also mix up strips and whole bait. Fresh does work but brined holds up better.

I like to cut whole bait on the boat as we're fishing. Used ballyhoo this past weekend, definitely more rigid than the strips I cut. But the whole bait is much more cost affective personally.

Also, I run it all...spinnies, the fish paddles...heck...I'll give anything a whirl. It comes down to personal preference and confidence. My hottest meat rig is behind a black spinnie with white crush glow tape on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

200+ coppers, wire and mag divers, riggers-back 60+ feet, and we usually have a set time to come in so if its dead were not missing much. tournament time stick it out till the bitter end and meat rigs late morning is all we get bit on usually and there usually big dawgs. all we run is stinger flashers 8" and 8" spinnies.