Braid vs. mono on dipsys???

Currently run a 14' alluminum boat. My set up is 100',175',225',255' coppers and 2 mono dipsys out either side of the back. I normally fish inside 100fow. Would it be to my advantage to switch to braid on my dipsys? Seeing I only fish 60feet down or so? Does braid catch more fish?

Go wire and you won't go back. We put wire divers on our boat this year (we have a small 16') and they've probably caught half our fish. You can run them shallow or deep it doesn't matter they just plain catch fish! We rig ours with slide divers on 50ft 30lb mono leads with a short segment of 65lb braid to connect the wire to the mono.

Go wire and you won't go back. We put wire divers on our boat this year (we have a small 16') and they've probably caught half our fish. You can run them shallow or deep it doesn't matter they just plain catch fish! We rig ours with slide divers on 50ft 30lb mono leads with a short segment of 65lb braid to connect the wire to the mono.

We added 1 wire to our boat this year too. Well, then we got our first hit. The 1 wire rod turned into 2 rods overnight. I ordered slide divers w/ the big rings & weight kit. If you can't afford the wire this year. Order the slide diver now and run your current mono setup with a longer leader thanks to the slide diver. Don't even bother with braid. Save the money for the wire setup. If you happen to run meat deep on a wire slide diver. Just make sure your rod holder can withstand a very active king resembling a freight train hitting it.

We had 6 hits Sunday morning out of Manistee and 5 of those came on meat and 4 of those were on a wire dipsy. 21 1/2 lb king smashed the bait and my (experienced) first mate couldn't hardly get the rod from the holder the fish was putting so much pressure on the unit. By the time the customer started fighting the big king it had gotten nearly 200' of line off the reel. Gotta love the wire for stimulating bites and the adrenaline rush when fighting an excited fish.

I must say I do like the way Big Kings Rip the wire off the spool, Many times, I've had that happen only to have the leader break, but since I've gone to 30lb leaders it doesn't happen much anymore...I will be putting my Meat Rigs on the Wire Dipsy though from now on, and I'm going to let'em run until they get tired.....Now I've just got to find the big Kings to rip that line..

Nice job Capt Gene.. Can't wait to run my wire divers up here. These guys are stuck in the 80's and have never even heard of wire divers, lead core, copper....

Time to do some schooling. Only downfall is being limited to one rod per person.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

Make no mistake, I'd love to run wire (let alone just fight a fish on wire) however as previously stated I fish from a 14' alluminum boat (row boat style) dipsy+6'leader+paddle/meat rig I'm back 10-12feet.. Making it impossible to land/net the fish. I've got diawa 27 and 47 LC's and I'm told they wouldn't be a good choice for wire because the drags aren't smooth enough... I've already got the braided line( came of my catfish rods) and thought if it helps catch more fish I'll run it.. Otherwise I'll stay with mono...

Run the braid. Much easier to handle, trip the dipseys, and I feel that you get a better fight.

Add wire when you can afford it. You won't regret it. The diawas will handle it. I run okuma convectors and they do just fine for me

Run the braid. Much easier to handle, trip the dipseys, and I feel that you get a better fight.

Add wire when you can afford it. You won't regret it. The diawas will handle it. I run okuma convectors and they do just fine for me

yea what he said. and I wouldn't even think about using mono for divers, its just to hard to trip the diver from the boat. I use braid for my main line then use 20# seaguar fluorocarbon leaders.

I do all my fishing on the central basin of erie for walleyes and I use the lite bite slide diver. but I use the slide diver just like a dipsy I don't use the slide part of the diver.

I use the daiwa sealine sg17lca and the daiwa accudepth plus adp17lc reels and they work great even when we hook a nice steelhead. once you use braid you will never want to use mono again. and I've never fished with wire so I cant say how good it really is. I never fish deeper than 65' and can get that deep with braid.

Thanks for all th responses..I guess my primary concern was because of the steeper dive angle and the shallower water where I fish the baits would be closer to the boat and wasn't sure if that would hurt.. Anybody have a dive chart/reference for a dipsy on 30# braid?

I run a 14fter as well and have braid and mono, and run wire with alot of friends on there boats, I have not noticed ANY difference in my braid and mono dipseys this year, and have outfished guys running wire multiple trips this year, if anything my hottest dipsey rod has been a mono dipsey, wire is nice for depth and feeling everything but i do not think it is necessary personally. Plus its nice to have the mono dipsey rods in the spring, i turn them into my flatlines for browns. I would add a 300 copper before changing your dipseys. What port to you fish mostly?