Had lines down by 5:30am and two kings in the box by 6am. Finished up 4 for 6 with all our hits before 8am. 100-120 FOW, North and South trolls. A lot of current out there, was going 3.6-3.8 SOG north and 2.6-2.8 SOG south to get the right bend in the diver rods (no probe for us). Here's what worked for us:

MS Flounder Pounder - Rigger 30ft down, 14lb king

Green Lightning Ace High plug - Magnum Slide diver out 70, 12lb king

11in white paddle w/glow fly - Rigger 50ft. down, lost king

White glow meat rig - magnum slide diver out 180, 10lb king

Stingray Mixed veggies - 40ft down off board, steelhead

Stingray Mixed veggies - 40ft down off board, lost steelhead

Yes on our planer boards, but we don't run lead core or copper, just not a fan of the fight with the weighted line. So on our planer boards this year we've exclusively run dive bombs and torpedo weights to get our baits where they need to be. With the charts that come with the torpedo weights you can really dial in how deep they're running based off your speed and how much line you let out. We use the 1oz dive bomb when the fish are in the top 10ft of the water column because the lightest torpedo weight is 2oz and it sinks too fast to target that range very well, unless you don't want your baits running very far behind your boards. Depending on speed, the 2oz torpedo has been working well to target the 10-40ft range, and the 4oz the 40-60ft range. Haven't needed to go heavier or deeper than that this year with the cold water.

Yes on our planer boards, but we don't run lead core or copper, just not a fan of the fight with the weighted line. So on our planer boards this year we've exclusively run dive bombs and torpedo weights to get our baits where they need to be. With the charts that come with the torpedo weights you can really dial in how deep they're running based off your speed and how much line you let out. We use the 1oz dive bomb when the fish are in the top 10ft of the water column because the lightest torpedo weight is 2oz and it sinks too fast to target that range very well, unless you don't want your baits running very far behind your boards. Depending on speed, the 2oz torpedo has been working well to target the 10-40ft range, and the 4oz the 40-60ft range. Haven't needed to go heavier or deeper than that this year with the cold water.

Old school Kevin. How are u doing with the sea fleas? When we run clean mono the Fleas hang on the line.

Old school Kevin. How are u doing with the sea fleas? When we run clean mono the Fleas hang on the line.

Mike, we haven't hand too many issues with fleas, yet to need to pick them off while reeling in a fish at least.

On my board rods I actually have 30lb mono filling up most of the reel, then a 250ft section of Power Pro Depth Hunter (metered braid, each color is 25ft with 5ft tick marks throughout), and then a 50ft 20lb mono leader. I use the metered braid because I'm running mooching reels on everything but my dipsies so I don't have counters. This allows me to know exactly how much line I've let out so I know exactly where my baits/torpedos are off our boards....or at least close enough to catch fish :D. I stick the torpedo on the braid about a foot up from the junction knot with the leader. We also run Yellow Birds (that I've painted orange, Ken Neidlinger style) set to trip with an OR16 clip on the back so they hang in place rather than sliding down the line. Oh and did I mention we use $25 6'6" med spinning rods from Meijer? You get a great fight out of the fish with this setup :thumb:

Mike, we haven't hand too many issues with fleas, yet to need to pick them off while reeling in a fish at least.

On my board rods I actually have 30lb mono filling up most of the reel, then a 250ft section of Power Pro Depth Hunter (metered braid, each color is 25ft with 5ft tick marks throughout), and then a 50ft 20lb mono leader. I use the metered braid because I'm running mooching reels on everything but my dipsies so I don't have counters. This allows me to know exactly how much line I've let out so I know exactly where my baits/torpedos are off our boards....or at least close enough to catch fish :D. I stick the torpedo on the braid about a foot up from the junction knot with the leader. We also run Yellow Birds (that I've painted orange, Ken Neidlinger style) set to trip with an OR16 clip on the back so they hang in place rather than sliding down the line. Oh and did I mention we use $25 6'6" med spinning rods from Meijer? You get a great fight out of the fish with this setup :thumb:

Kenny Neidlinger would be proud of you. That was his method for years. U know the rigs I run, and its all about having fun. I will say that 60 years ago we ran leadcore for trout fishing in Washington and Oregon Inland lakes worked just like it does on Lake Michigan. I do prefer Leadcore to copper its a lot less work and a lot easier to handle. I have started putting Dive bombs on my leadcore to get it deeper. Lately though just 4 colors and 6 colors of leadcore have been the ticket for Steelhead and Kings.

If I may ask a question, if you have the jet diver on the braid above leader your jet diver is aprox 51 ft from fish does the jet diver release or do you reel in and take it off never used them before but am real curious. Thanks in advance for the reply!