Lake Michigan This Year

Hey Guys ,

How has fishing been for you this year, has it been good , has it been the same as years past or different, I am looking for some feedback lake wide on how its been. I would have posted this in the lake Michigan forums but I would have to do it 4 times .

If you could please tell me what port your from and what state that is in it would make things just a little easier.

I am looking for something like this ,

Jim from Milwaukee , WI , fishing has sucked this year . Cohos skirted Milwaukee and for some reason and we have marked fish all year but some one must have sewed all of there mouths closed cus they ain't biting . Catches are way down over here in Brew city.

Thanks Jim

Pentwater Ludington and Frankfort is where I fish. I live in the Frankfort area and fish often. The brown fishing was better this spring than usual. King fishing started good in early June but is now slower than most years past. Three fish a trip is the usual for me. Have had a few scunked this year to. Offshore steelhead was great when we had a large thermal break. Even the charter guys around here I keep up with have not been bringing in any large numbers. Fish size isn't all that great either. Not marking much bait to top it all off.

Capt. Ed from Ludington Michigan. From everyone and everything I've heard this season, it started out very cold, got warmer, and is still too cold for early August. The fish and bait seem to be spread out more than other summers of recent. High winds changing directions all the time hasn't helped any. If the wind changes continue, it's not good. I predict the summer south winds to prevail this month and warmer temps. to bring the Big Kings in late. In big numbers, and in big weights. It may play out till mid-September for the best fishing to get hot.

Boltman from WhiteHall , Although I am not able to get out as much as most people on this Forum, when we did get out, the fishing has been Great!!!!!! Catching them has SUCKED. We've been out in awesome weather Water[s like glass, wind didn't exist and We've never marked so many fish....To bad we aren't catching them. Caught 3 nice Lakers this year which I find strange because I've only caught 1 laker or so in all the years we've been fishing..Now 8 years..We've marked a couple of MANATEE size Kings on the bottom, but haven't seen the sizes in the Box...Hope to see more in the box this month and next..And I don't feel that the weather is going to improve the fishing any...But I'm not always Right either...hahahah

Jeff fish out of Muskegon and Grand Haven Michigan. I like Boltman dont get out as much as many but I live and breath the big water fishing watch reports weather /lake conditions track trends yr in and yr out, in an effort to put fish in the box when I can get out. Here's what I know so far this yr the size of the kings is more wide spread all ages and classes with a few larger 15# + and heard of a few over 20#'s last year on one trip we netted 28 fish and 16 of those fish where 20#'s or better with the biggest tipping in at 30#'s on the dot (official weigh scale) last year was an exceptional yr for large kings and out side the norm since the early 80's/late 70's. This yr I've caught more steelhead in shallower water than past (biggest 13.5#s), caught less both in size and number kings (biggest 17#s and less coho size and number ( biggest 11#'s), cold winter cold summer water has made it tough at least for me. This past week I was skunked three days in a row I can't remember the last time that I was skunked two days in row yet alone three days! humbling to say the least! Last 3 yrs I went the whole season with out a skunk. So for me tough tough yr thus far! But hey thats great lakes fishing! I luv it! will never stop doing it! will raise my kids fishing the big lake! and while it may be frustrating at times I will never regret one dollar or day spent doing it! Curious to hear from the real pro's on here as to their take on the yr so far. I hope more comment!!!

Good morning. .

Not quite lake michigan but here's another report for you. ..

Fishing out of Homer, Alaska has been really good this season. Feeder kings (2 y/o) have been abundant in the 20-30 lb class range, with quite a few in the 50 ' s being taken. Haven't heard of very many of the spawners taken, other than a couple in the 70 lb class range. Silvers ( coho) are very abundant right now and it's hard to keep a line down. 2-15 lb fish are the norm. Second run of big kings should be showing up any time.

On a side note, I do miss Manistee a little and wish all of you on the big pond a safe and successful rest of your season!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

I fish out of Mona lake in between Muskegon and Grand Haven. I would say it has been an average year for me. I have had 3-4 skunks this year and I typically have about 2 a year. I have noticed, especially in the last month that they bites are soft. Some of my skunks, I have had 2-3 hits just nobody home. I do not remember having so many knock offs in the past. As for size most kings have been 8-19# (usually 12-14#) and steelhead 8-12#.

Good morning. .

Not quite lake michigan but here's another report for you. ..

Fishing out of Homer, Alaska has been really good this season. Feeder kings (2 y/o) have been abundant in the 20-30 lb class range, with quite a few in the 50 ' s being taken. Haven't heard of very many of the spawners taken, other than a couple in the 70 lb class range. Silvers ( coho) are very abundant right now and it's hard to keep a line down. 2-15 lb fish are the norm. Second run of big kings should be showing up any time.

On a side note, I do miss Manistee a little and wish all of you on the big pond a safe and successful rest of your season!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

Now that's just rubbing it in, Bill!

Capt. Ed from Ludington again. We have BIG FISH coming in now, up to 27.7# at Thompson's Marina in Ludville. You may have them outside the pierheads early in the 4:30am time, or at dusk at the Big Pt. Sauble. Either way, we expect the 30# class to come in mid-August to 2nd week of Sept. now, everything good is running a bit late this season. The Main Point is that Ludington HAS GOOD FISHING! For some reason, some people of recent keep saying they hear the fishing here isn't that good right now, and they are WRONG!

Right now I'm in Whitehall and I can't get my Ass out of bed to go fishing at 4:30 am just too tired so were going out tonight , that's what I get for getting to bed at midnight , God let there be big kings or any kings out there for me tonight !!!!!

I fish Sout haven and Port Sheldon out of my 14ft. and have averaged around 5 fish a trip, browns were awsome everything else has been steady, and starting to see some good kings took our first true 20lber of the year last week, havent been skunked yet and average a few trips a week.

The big winds early today and all day till nightfall, have pushed up to 9-11' waves, forcing that outside cold water up to shore, and also the bottom water up, roll-over. I think the next several days to 1 week could see a great bounty coming in to go up the PM River/Lake. Check out fish-ludington.com or Freestyle charters fishing report now and the next days ahead. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My boat is slipped at Solbergs in Manistee and we fish there. Let me start out by saying I am an absolute rookie. This is my first year of fishing on my own boat so I'm the learning curve is nearly a vertical line if you know what I mean........

We have not been skunked any of the times we've been out but come back with only one fish twice. Only one king, the rest coho, lakers and steelhead. Got the boat in the water too late for good brown fishing.

Have to say that we are doing excellent with hookup and landing percentage. Only lost one steely that spit the hook about 6" in the air. I am puzzled though by the lake. The fish seem to be very scattered and even at this late summer date, there doesn't seem to be any thermocline. Last Saturday (rough) we were seeing water temps in the 40's at less than 20' down on the Fish Hawk. Makes it tough to find fish. Can't say that we've seen a lot of bait schools either. I have a lot to learn and any pointers would be appreciated.

This is only my second year on the big pond so I don't have a lot of seasons to look back on but this has been a very good year for me. I fish out of Milwaukee, Port Washington, and Bender. Brown fishing was crazy this spring with 10 fish on average and coho fishing was pretty good although somewhat hit and miss. I had a skunk or two in May but have had plenty of action this summer. Kings have been about 10-12# on average with the biggest weighing in at 23# in June. There are a lot of nice fish around but twenty pounders were a lot more common last year. Although the cold water scattered fish it also kept quite a few near shore which has helped out us kayakers a lot.