Down Riggers

How many down riggers do you run on your boat? Also explain why you have that number. I know width of the boat is a factor. However, I went on a 31' Tiarra last year that only had 3. We had 11 lines in the water. There was 1 line per down rigger. Everything else was on divers, with lead core and wire.

I have four downriggers on my boat but many times use only two. There are so many presentations now and many of them work better than downriggers (especilly the inside ones) much of the time. A typical setup for me assuming 3 fishermen and 9 lines out might be:

- two riggers with sliders (usually fixed 10 ft above main bait but

sometimes free)

- two deep divers on wire (one off each side)

- two high divers on braid or mono (one off each side)

- two lead core lines off planer boards (one off each side)

- one lead core line straight back from the middle of the boat

If I have more people, I might run four lead core lines off planer boards (two on each side), a high line straight down the middle, and/or the other two riggers. Depending on depth of the fish, I may run shallow lines off the outer planer boards.

I have 4 riigers on my 32' charterboat and usually run them all. Ocassionally I will run less, like when in tournaments with rod limits, and if the dipseys or core get hot, I will pull some riggers and switch up.

Another Captain I know has 6 on his boat. He usually runs 4, but during the fall bite in the mouth of the harbor he runs all 6 and really cleans up on the kings!

I run 3 riggers on my 31' charter. I felt after running 5 that there was not enough use of the the other two to justify keeping them. I like the 3 rigger set up because my best rigger is the chute rigger in the middle and it allows a more defined V pattern.

I run a Lund 18.5 Tyee and have 4 electrics on a Berts track system. I remove the two out downs during the Spring as it's mostly a planer board fishery. I like the 4 riggers just because everything has it's time. I find I use all 4 during the AM dawn bite. During this time riggers are able to be set fast, set to exact depths, and seem to be hot during this time.

By 8am I am usually down to 3 riggers and by 9am I am down to 2. This is when I tend to have more Dipsy's, leadcore, drop rigg, etc in the water.

I tend to have this need to be prepared for every situation. I could get by with 2 riggers all the time but I like to have them when needed. Everything has it's day, I want to catch fish everyday!

Dave

I started out running 4 riggers. I rigged my Lund with 2 for much the same reasons as stated. More important in choosing how many riggers to put on a boat is the choice of how any rods holders are going to be needed and where. When you have a full arsenal of rigged rods from leadcore, wire divers, dipsy’s, copper rods, drop rigs and planer boards, the riggers are just another tool in the overall presentation. I believe that rod holders and many of them will allow one to fish more effectively then adding an extra rigger or two.

I currently have installed 8 rod holders on each side of the boat along with the 2 holders that come on the rigger. This gives me 20 total holders for the boat that allows me to be very versatile in my presentations. Don’t get me wrong on the riggers though, there have been days that I wished I had 4 of them, but many times if it is a hot rigger bite, one can put out a mag Dipsy on “0†straight out the back and it will serve as a “poor man’s†rigger.

There are so many more presentations that are as effective, if not more so, to run these days that adding extra riggers may not enhance the success of the day. However, adding more rod holders may make one more successfull.

Mark

From what I am gathering, the extra riggers come in handy when you are in close poximity of other boats. You can effectivy fish as much or more water with a good spread of lead core, wire and dipsey's.

Thanks for all of the info!

The one good thing about multiple riggers is that it gives more options when fishing deep waters and you need to get down 100+ft to hit fish with out having over 300 ft of line out on a rod. They also allow me to have more rods in the water with out using Lead core because Core doesn’t catch fish;:D it’s just used to tick someone off when you make them reel it in.:mad:

Steve

We run 3 Downriggers on our 31' Tiara Open and our trailerable 22' Islander. I believe 3 downriggers is the most you need no matter what size boat you have. If I personally had to outfit any boat smaller than 22' I would only go with 2 downriggers and a lot of everything else (Lead Core, Copper, Divers, etc.). I think less downriggers means more bites and action. With 3 downriggers you get a lot less tangles with lines and wires crossed like in years past, as well. We usually run 3 downriggers, around 10 Lead Cores and Copper (surface boards, etc.), and 4 Divers in our "normal" charter spread. The only time I think 5 downriggers would be beneficial is in the harbors in the fall.

Dan,

I use the Luhr Jensen drop weight release shown below.

i116068hz01.jpg

It's basically a metal cylindar with a hole in the side and a rod through the middle on a spring. You tie a short piece of mono on the lead ball, pull the spring pin back, slide in the mono around the pin. When a fish pulls out the rear, it pulls the pin, and releases the ball. If you dont get a hit, you just reel in the ball. I have tried others and this is the one I like best.

Wayne(Midway) has fished with me a few times last summer using these and can attest some of the damage this rig did last year for me.

It takes a little getting used to how much line to have out but once you get it down, its very easy to run and catchs alot of fish.

Dave

Dan,

I use the Luhr Jensen drop weight release shown below.

i116068hz01.jpg

It's basically a metal cylindar with a hole in the side and a rod through the middle on a spring. You tie a short piece of mono on the lead ball, pull the spring pin back, slide in the mono around the pin. When a fish pulls out the rear, it pulls the pin, and releases the ball. If you dont get a hit, you just reel in the ball. I have tried others and this is the one I like best.

Wayne(Midway) has fished with me a few times last summer using these and can attest some of the damage this rig did last year for me.

It takes a little getting used to how much line to have out but once you get it down, its very easy to run and catchs alot of fish.

Dave

I use those too... I have I think 5 & 8Lb tension on my drops I was just wondering if you noticed a difference in the two or if you liked on better than the other. Also it only works in one direction... fingured that one out real quick.

Dave

Yeah I've had the luxury of fishing with Dave, learned alot from him, from everything from tactics to "special" lures... Fishing with him is like a kid in a candy store... sure cut into my bank account, trying it on his boat... "NEEDING" it on mine :) :)

Thanks for the lessons Dave

Since we are talking lead weights on lead core. I went out with a guy last year and he had slip sinkers on a couple of lead core rigs. I kick myself in the a$$ for not paying better attention.

Since we are talking lead weights on lead core. I went out with a guy last year and he had slip sinkers on a couple of lead core rigs. I kick myself in the a$$ for not paying better attention.

Snap weights add to a 4 or 5 color core will sink it down to a full core depth.

Steve

• 1 month later...