Planer board

Recommendations on planer boards that hook directly to the line behind lead core for suspended salmon that are not that deep and hard to trigger on Lake Michigan.

What should I get keeping in mind ease and price?

Thank you

Personally I don't care for the Church boards in that I may be the odd man out. On the other hand My planer board spreads consistently run wider and look better. Second there is not one out of the package board that really works well on a variety of setups. That may change in the future. For many the clip it on and run it simplicity of the Church Walleye board is good enough so you will hear lots of people say they are great. Those same people will drag them around like a flock of ducks behind their boats all day long. To me the purpose of a planer board is to gain width in your spread. So I have spent years doing that and have gotten pretty good at it. What I have found is there is no big gain between the Church Walleye Board and the Off Shore OR12 until you begin making changes to them or go fast. I can't get a Walleye Board to not dive at higher speeds.

You will also have to decide if you want them to trip or not for me most of my setups do not trip this means you have to fight the board and the fish till you get the board in and remove it. Having it not trip allows me to run much more aggressive angles and setups to gain width without false releases.

So what would I recommend my first choice is Off Shore OR12 with some minor mods done to it. 2nd would be the Yellow Birds not as easy to tune but once you learn them they will run better.

Personally I don't care for the Church boards in that I may be the odd man out. On the other hand My planer board spreads consistently run wider and look better. Second there is not one out of the package board that really works well on a variety of setups. That may change in the future. For many the clip it on and run it simplicity of the Church Walleye board is good enough so you will hear lots of people say they are great. Those same people will drag them around like a flock of ducks behind their boats all day long. To me the purpose of a planer board is to gain width in your spread. So I have spent years doing that and have gotten pretty good at it. What I have found is there is no big gain between the Church Walleye Board and the Off Shore OR12 until you begin making changes to them or go fast. I can't get a Walleye Board to not dive at higher speeds.

You will also have to decide if you want them to trip or not for me most of my setups do not trip this means you have to fight the board and the fish till you get the board in and remove it. Having it not trip allows me to run much more aggressive angles and setups to gain width without false releases.

So what would I recommend my first choice is Off Shore OR12 with some minor mods done to it. 2nd would be the Yellow Birds not as easy to tune but once you learn them they will run better.

i was thinking of grabbing a couple yellow birds for the price saveings alone and just as extras. what do you do to the birds ?

• 3 weeks later...