Boards Poppin Wheelies

Ok Gents, here's a pick of my boards in Action, Weights all the way forward, TX44 pulling 300 coppers and TX22 pulling 150 coppers...

Looks like I'm going to have to ADD bow weight. What do you think, is this normal or WHat...

IMG_18442_zps9be8b36e.jpg

Looks fine to me, you're better off having them run like that than nose down so they don't dive. SD's on boards are fine too. You're supposed to run the line on the bottom slot on the TX-44, if you're running it in the top it might not run correctly.

You don't need to run the TX-44's on 300 coppers, even with the SD's. I run 450's on the 22's and walleye boards, I only use the 44's for 450's with SD's or paddles, or over 450' regardless what it's pulling. Personally I think the 44's are pain, pull way too hard and tend to dive.

I got excited about the 44s last year and got 4...They run ok with 450 coppers and not too bad if you keep your 300 coppers close to the boat...however our loss ratio running them on 200 coppers was horrible...I couldn't get them to the boat fast enough...Lots of tension from rod to board and very little on fish.

Well I've tried running my 300 coppers on the 22's, but they barely get outside the boat, because the whole front half is out of the water and Yes I'm using them with the Pin on the bottom, but that said I'm going to keep experimenting with these boards and see what I can Do.

Well I've tried running my 300 coppers on the 22's, but they barely get outside the boat, because the whole front half is out of the water and Yes I'm using them with the Pin on the bottom, but that said I'm going to keep experimenting with these boards and see what I can Do.

Experiment with the amount of line you let out after copper when hooking the board on. I usually let out 30' after copper then hook board on, current has a big factor too. Look at your dipsy rods, get your divers running good and then look at your spread. It won't be perfect all the time but it will help dial in your "best trolling direction". Also 1mainiac mods should help your 44's track better and dig to the outside! People have no idea how close their divers are to their coppers sometimes....your picture looks ok just the board could bury with a big king, keep the drags loose and reel like crazy when the come towards the boat!

1_18_06_14_11_12_37.jpeg

There is a pic of 2 of my boards and one of Greg's all pulling the exact same setup 200ft of 60lb copper and a clean spoon.

Any hints as to how you tweak these 44's? I have just started using a 44 with a 300 copper, and cannot seem to get them to pull too hard to the side either. If I slow right down its not so bad, but sometimes I like to run a little faster, then they just fall behind the boat.

I have been using big boards for 20yrs for the high lines but thought I would give the inlines a try with the new copper rig for deeper stuff.

Any hints, muchly appreciated...

Thanks.....

I kinda think if I'm trolling long coppers to get deep I don't want them riding up with fast speeds. If I'm pulling flashers I usually like 2.1-2.3 SOG depending on current, obviously this changes with conditions. Offshore this year at times has been 2.8-3.2 with current.

are your rods the same ? If you have a rod with a soft tip it will cause you to do wheelies , up and back down . almost seem like its running forward all the time. and you don't have to be in heavy seas to have it happen , more so in light seas because it plays catch up.

Here Yeah Go Here's a TX-22 at 2.4 with a flasher board behind it...Rod pointed down and it's on 150 coppers with about 30 yds on after copper ends

IMG_18522_zpse0663ea9.jpg

JIM What do you think, it's a TX-22 on 150 copper, i shouldn't be poppin wheelies......

Are boards supposed to be pulled slower like 1.9-1.8 I wouldn't think so..???

Ryan, My Gunwales are 4 feet off the Water, Plus my rod holders put the rod height at 5' off the water, so When I have my rods pointed down towards the water, they are still 5 feet high off the water, I never have line in the water until it gets right too the board itself...

And if I point them in the air HIGH up then it lifts the board even farther out or the water...

I run everything from 3 colors through 300 45# coppers off my Walleye boards and never have the nose up. I bought mine before the TX-22 model was released. I can't say that I have really ever looked at the TX-22 because I think they are smaller and the Walleye boards are maxed out with the 300 copper.

keep in mind that its with a mag spoon at 2.0 or 2.5 by the chart colors. If your making turns expect your inside coppers to drop and outsides to rise up.

You may be in 125 FOW but make a slow turn and put your 300 on the bottom. Always speed up on turns.

Would you look at how close the 32 lb copper is to 45 lb wow. glad I run the lighter stuff.

Robert , here are a couple of shots of my boards , they look very much the same as yours, the inside rods are copper , Mine track like this most of the time with the exception of one , which is an old tx22 i think is water logged because it does not float right.

I had one 2 weeks ago that would do wheelies,a rod with a light tip , drove me nuts til I figured it out , Though it was a fish pulling back the board but it turned out being the soft tip allowing the rod to load and then pull back forward.if that makes sense. That rod has been removed from my spread.

post-2377-144987879843_thumb.jpg

post-2377-14498787984503_thumb.jpg

post-2377-14498787984638_thumb.jpg

post-2377-14498787984805_thumb.jpg

Yes my rod tips move back and forth constantly and maybe I need to remove the spin doctors as well , I have Okuma copper rods I'll check them when I make it back to the boat this weekend and we"re moving 2.8-3.1 ball speed surface speed is always higher near 3.8 ,that might be my issue running too fast !!!

If your using the copper colored rod with the stainless guides it should be fine , there are others in the copper line(okuma) that are soft in the tip.

My speed at the ball is around 2.0 on a depth Raider. GPS= 2.3-2.8 depending on current.

Are you running a Fish Hawk?