What does it take to get a weather bouy???

Hi UBDSLO1 -

That's a good idea. Currently when you log into the site, you can see the weather forecast for your area on the right hand side of the homepage. This is powered by Accuweather but doesn't give you live wave reports. It does give you wind reports broken down hourly. Getting wave reports is a little more tricky to tie directly into the website. Here is the link I personally use though:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/gtlakes/glcstmz.htm

Simply click on your area and it should give you the wave forecast.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Chad

Anyone know? I would love to have one in my salmon port, log in and get real time wave and wind reports. I also would be willing to pay a yearly fee if need be, just curious!

They put one in South Haven and it was about 40,000 bucks. It can run more if you put on the temp sensors. You also have to have a source to fund futre care and the setting of it each year. Hope this helps!

West side of the lake has none, and I don't understand why nobody makes a fuss to have some installed? I always look at the mid lake buoy and wish we had some closer to shore. Here in IL there are very limited places to launch and guys make long trips to get to Northern IL where the launches are and realize that the waves are a tad too much for them.

• 1 month later...
Hi UBDSLO1 -

That's a good idea. Currently when you log into the site, you can see the weather forecast for your area on the right hand side of the homepage. This is powered by Accuweather but doesn't give you live wave reports. It does give you wind reports broken down hourly. Getting wave reports is a little more tricky to tie directly into the website. Here is the link I personally use though:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/gtlakes/glcstmz.htm

Simply click on your area and it should give you the wave forecast.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Chad

Thanks! I'll use this more often too!