Diver release tension

I normaly set my Diver release tension by trial and error at the side of the boat (get it to pop with a quick set of the hook). Last week I was having some false releases so I set it a little tighter...you know what happened I couldn't get it to pop so I had to bring it all the way in (200') with it still in dive mode:mad: no fun. I've had this happen a few times before and was wondering if anyone had a more fool proof way of setting the tension? I use mostly 124 & 107 mm Walkers, but i've had it happen with my Dipsies also.

sometimes the water temps can play games with my releases and my divers . I have them set if they pop it will be the first time around and after that they will be fine . The only reason I could come up with is temperature. I also use the 124s but I set them fairly heavy because there on my wires anyway, not going after cohos. After 10 min in the cold water they seem to behave and I don't have any problems after that.

IMO mono has too much stretch for divers, and too easy if you have a nick in it to loose all your equipment.Having a good leader and a good snubber is important though.That being said mono may have too much stretch for the diver and you may not be able to untrip the diver to bring in at the end of a trip.

I'm using 30lb Power Pro braid so there is little to no stretch. I probably just got hurried and forgot to check it to make sure it would release at the side of the boat before I let it out. You really have to torque them down though to get them to hold for flashers sometimes. Looking back I'm pretty sure the only times I've had this problem was on the ones I was running flashers on. Thanks for the input and thanks for the link to the torpedo site GM I'll check them out. Good trolling...and maybe I'll see you out there sometime.