is 4 downriggers a good set up instead of dipsys

Apparently, after today, I need to rescind my previous statement about dipsy's and Boards being better. 3 for 4, 4 dipsy's out, 4 boards out, 4 lines on the riggers, all hits came on riggers. Usually it is the opposite, not today.

Yes run the dipsies so the rods are pointing to tge side of the boat.

You should be able to find a fellow fishing where you live and have him show you what needs to be done. This site will help but in person advice is always better. If I lived closer I would help you out more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

Thanks I've already had someone offer to take me out, this site is awesome. I've got so many stupid simple questions it would take weeks to ask them all, I just need someone to show me the way of the lake

Sent from my C6522N using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

The way of the lake is experience with trial and error. And helpful tips. Just watch the reports of what people are catching where, on what, what water depth and how far down will give you a place to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

Little Guy, everyone starts out with a pretty big learning curve with Lake Michigan and it changes all the time too.

If you want to learn, I'm willing to teach :). Would be willing to go out with you a time or two and show you some techniques. Could go on my boat or yours but learning on your own boat is usually better.

Send me a PM or email and we can talk.

Ok sounds great if you ever don't feel like hauling the boat I live 5 min from the launch in Holland so give me a shout if you want to give a rookie a tutorial. Just let me know when and where

Sent from my C6522N using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

I had the same issues when I started fishing Lake Ontario 30 years ago, and just now - this week - decided to get some copper rigs....going to put them out next time I go. Never fished with them or tried them at this point in the game.

Excellent advice from all here - but I would highly recommend getting a subscription to Great Lakes Angler, and getting the book 'Keating on Kings' with his DVD - excellent stuff for a newbie - I wish they were out when I started - could have cut my skunk time drastically! Here's a link to them...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=keating%20on%20kings&sprefix=keating+on%2Caps%2C389&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Akeating%20on%20kings

Little Guy, everyone starts out with a pretty big learning curve with Lake Michigan and it changes all the time too.

If you want to learn, I'm willing to teach :). Would be willing to go out with you a time or two and show you some techniques. Could go on my boat or yours but learning on your own boat is usually better.

Send me a PM or email and we can talk.

i would put god on hold for this kind of offer, take ryan up on it !!