Fall Salmon fishing in southern Lake Huron

When I was younger, I always headed north and northwest in search of Salmons. I did not even think about going to fishing the southern lake Michigan rivers.

This spring I fished some of the Southern Lake Huron ports out of my 16 foot flat bottom and had a blast. I was wondering if the Salmon fishing ever turns on right around the piers heads in the fall or if the fish are all nasty and stale by the time they hit the piers? I have heard that when they get close they are all nasty in southern Lake Michigan. I was just wondering if there is any truth to that.

Thanks for any information you may provide.

Most fish I have caught staging for the run of the St. Joe were just fine. Fished there for 10 years when I lived in St. Joe and saw no difference between the ones caught there and those caught in Ludington or Manistee. For the most part they don't start getting bad until they go up river and stop actively feeding. That is when the flesh starts turning white as fat reserves are consumed during spawning.

I don't know why southern Lake Huron would be any different. Back in the 70's would fish for salmon off of Au Gres and Tawas in Saginaw Bay which at that time of year had much warmer lake water than off St. Joe and saw basically the same thing.

When I was out of lexington this spring it seemed like it was shallower in closer to the piers. There is also only one river flowing into the st clair river that I knew of. I was thinking the fish might possibly not stage like they do near ludington or the board man in TC since there really is not any great rivers with decent runs. I am going to give it a few shots this fall and I was hoping to get an idea of how I should target them from someone that fishes southern lake huron. It's only a 50 minute drive for me so that is why I am curious. I will also be going to Ludington a few times this year as well.