Salmon A Rama (Milwaukee & Port Washington)

Salmon A Rama 2014 Report - Kayak Division

I spent both weekends in Port Washington and a few weeknights after work fishing out of Milwaukee. The fishing was pretty good once I narrowed in on a few areas that ended up holding fish for most of the week. Size was decent but I snapped two fish off that would've easily put me in the top 5 in my division and lost a few more. Overall I ended up 17 for 30 in 7 trips putting on over 92 miles in the yak. Finished in 7th place with a couple of 14#ers.

Saturday 7/12 2:30-9 AM: 2/6 with a 14.34# king on a 6 color green dolphin spoon in 75 fow and a 10.5# steelhead while cranking in the same setup in 160 fow. Snapped off one other fish and lost two decent ones in the first 30 seconds of the fight.

Sunday 7/13 3:30-9:30 AM: 3/4 with a 9#, 12# & 14# king between 55 & 85 fow on moonshine spoons

Tuesday 7/15 6-9 PM: 3/4 with 3 smaller kings on 3 & 6 color leadcore 60 fow on two kings and a shaker in 30 fow on the way in. Snapped off a dandy.

Wednesday 7/16 6-9:30 PM: 1/3 with a 13.5# king on a 6 color sooperfly spoon 65 fow

Thursday 7/17 5:30-9:30 PM: 2/3 with 2 kings around 4-6# one on leadcore and one on a moonshine spoon behind a torpedo diver

Friday 7/18 5-9:30 PM: 1/3 5# coho on mag moonshine up high

Saturday 7/19 overnighter 6:00PM-8:00AM: 5/7 4 kings right at dark on spoons, one drive by overnight and one 12.5# king along with a 8# king lost next to the yak on flasher flies. My buddy Don landed a tank of a 27# king right next to me on Saturday night which was the closest a kayaker has ever been to winning the grand prize in SAR. He registered it in the offshore division and took 2nd place.

Overall a fun, exhausting week on the water. Plenty of action but I blew a couple of chances at big fish. Looking forward to the rest of the season and can't wait for SAR 2015!

Phone won't let me upload pics right now but I'll try to get some up tomorrow.

Awesome! !!! How far you gotta go out to catch kings there?

Well Port Washington is nice because 100 fow is only two miles out. Best depth seemed to be 65-80 fow most days. They were in 50 fow for a day or two in mke but started moving out deeper later in the week although a few shore fisherman plucked a couple.

I remember the Salmon-A-Rama tourney. Glad to see it's still going. I fished it out of Port Washington on vacation 3 straight seasons. Real good people, and if I remember, seems like the Lions Club sponsored it right at the fish cleaning station next to the city marina. Don't have to travel far either for deep water, and great fishing when I went.