Down Rigger Boom Lengths

GLF

Mike,

Are you mounting all three on the back gunnel or the two outdowns up the gunwale a few feet? It is a lot easier to fish if you mount them up the sides of the gunwale more. You have room to net fish and have room in both corners of the boat to work. Either way, I would definitely go with the 4 foot arms. You never have to worry about cable tangles and diver rods can still clear the arms.

Mike,

Are you mounting all three on the back gunnel or the two outdowns up the gunwale a few feet? It is a lot easier to fish if you mount them up the sides of the gunwale more. You have room to net fish and have room in both corners of the boat to work. Either way, I would definitely go with the 4 foot arms. You never have to worry about cable tangles and diver rods can still clear the arms.

I will be mounting the outdowns on the sides. They might only be a foot up from the back. I am going to lay it all out, before I put any holes in ;)

i used to run the older cannons with tthe 4 ft booms but the back of the boat was only 8ft. i had tangles in rough water so i went to a 3 rigger set up 2on the corners and 1 down the middle and then i was ok. now i have a wider boat and the extend a boom cannons and i still only run them out 4 feet and have had no problems with themand the dipseys are fine with them. i would stick to thee 4 footers and save the hassel with the longer swinging ball on the side.

I would go with 4 foot booms. The 3 riggers that you are planning to install, is exactly the way I would set up a new boat. The Less is More theory. 27 foot Sea-Ray nice ride. You can tell where the money is. LOL:)

I have 4 electric Cannons but seldom use the inside ones. When the rigger bite is hot, I'll have all four in the water. I bend the fins on the outside rigger Balls, so the balls track out away from the boat. I use the 10# Pancakes. My 22 footer only has an 8 foot beam, and no problems with tangles even in the roughest weather, with 4 riggers down.

• 1 month later...

I have a 9'6" beam and I always extend my outside riggers to the full 60". With 3 riggers I can get a 19.5 foot spread. Thats one deal i love about my Scotty's, the adjustable boom. It really helps when fishing all 3 riggers over 100' down, but last fall i was running 3 spinnies off them all set back 30-60' all within a few feet of each other doinf circles in Oswego harbor. Couple that with 2 wire divers and a core. Not one tangle! Thats 5 spinnies within feet of each other. I was pretty impressed. So the moral of the story is dont short yourself!

GLF,

Not sure which riggers you are going with, but if you can get the adjustable booms that is the way to go. I have 4 cannons on my boat, most of the time I run only 2 or 3 of them. I have the adjustable booms on my boom riggers and can go to the 60" limit on them if I need to, but I usually run them on the 3' length when I am running just the 2 of them. Good Luck.

Rich