depth raider speeds

when i'm out trolling my GPS will read like 4.5 to 5.0 and the depth raider reads well 2.5 to 3.0 all the time doesn't really matter what direction it troll. i have used it two different times now and same thing is that normal first time i was catching fish but going alot fast then other boats! second time no fish do i trust the depth raider? seems very fast trolling!! any help please

Due to down currents, the speed of your Depth Raider vs GPS is irrelevant. The whole reason for the down speed is because of the currents and being able to replicate the speed at which you catch fish regardless of the direction or wave action. While the difference isn't usually 2 mph different, it can be. Over the years I have seen as high as 2.6 mph currents on both my Depth Raider and my FishHawk X4 (current).

Depending on what direction we were going yesterday off Holland saw as much as a 1.6 mph difference between GPS and my FishHawk. Other times they were very close. My Raymarine fish finder also has a paddle wheel on the transducer for speed and it never agrees with the FishHawk surface speed or the GPS either.

The main thing I would suggest is to put the probe in the water at about 3' down. Then take a typical spoon and put it in the water at the side of the boat. Adjust your speed until the spoon is running with a nice action and not the speed. Then put that rod on the downspeed rigger and lower it to depth. Adjust your throttle so the Depth Raider now reads the same speed as you saw with the lure at the surface. This is a good starting point. Adjust your speed up/down a few tenths at a time until you start catching fish. Note the speed the boat is going and try to replicate that speed.

While the DR says it is reading in MPH it pretty much isn't (same for the FishHawk and SubTroll... but it doesn't matter. The idea is to be able reproduce the speed to catch more fish.