7/20/2014, Saginaw Bay, Fishing Report

We had another gorgeous day of the Bay today for my customers hailing form Pennsylvania. It was the first time they had fished on Saginaw Bay, but I doubt that it will be their last. We started out heading back to the same location where we fished the last few trips and started catching fish right away, but then the wind died down and the sun popped out of the clouds and the bite slowed to a snail's pace. Eventually though a friend of mine that I share fishing information with a lot called me on the cell phone telling me that he had trolled into some active fish, so we pulled lines and ran towards that location. We set down about one mile form him and we were the only boats in sight in that area. We immediately started to hook up with walleyes with four on at one time to start things off there. It only took us about a half hour there to fill out our limit of 20 walleyes. A close-to-bottom presentation of spinner/crawler rigs was the hot ticket today again. Crank baits were not working nearly as well. The color of the harness was immaterial as they hit all of the patterns I ran, but a trolling speed in the 1.7 to 1.9 mph range was definitely preferred. This nice weather pattern is predicted to last for another couple days, with a bit more wind tomorrow, so the bite on Monday and Tuesday should be phenomenal as walleyes sure do like a nice "walleye chop".

Capt. Mike Veine

Thanks again Captain Mike. I have had a few very slow outings on Lake MI lately for salmon and thought, for awhile there, that the flat calm conditions were going to put us in for another one for our first ever outing on the Bay. You found us some active fish and we beat up on them pretty good. My parents were thrilled; they made the long trip out from PA to experience Saginaw walleye fishing and had a great time fishing with you. I do think we will be back to the Bay.

Thanks again Captain Mike. I have had a few very slow outings on Lake MI lately for salmon and thought, for awhile there, that the flat calm conditions were going to put us in for another one for our first ever outing on the Bay. You found us some active fish and we beat up on them pretty good. My parents were thrilled; they made the long trip out from PA to experience Saginaw walleye fishing and had a great time fishing with you. I do think we will be back to the Bay.

Jason, I had a good time out there yesterday as well. Your folks are good people. I especially liked talking about global warming.:lol:

We fished that same area as yesterday setting lines about where we pulled lines yesterday and trolling with-the-wind northward. We had about a 10 knot wind this morning. It's amazing how a little wind will improve the bite. Today we limited out in about one hour of fishing and just made it to where we had set lines yesterday morning by the time we boxed out. We were back early enough today to get breakfast as H&H:thumb: