Trolling speed for Coho

Hey guys,

My son and I were out this am,fishing 115 fow. We were 3 for 11.We got into a school of Coho and only managed to land one.We landed a laker as well as a pink.

I was trolling around the 2.3-2.5 mph mark. A chilly Willy was the hot spoon on a cheater,rigger was down 75'.We lost all the fish about 40' behind the boat when the fish surfaced.The coho we did land was foul hooked.

I'm assuming all the ones we lost where fouled hooked as well.We watched them do a couple of rolls then they were gone.

What am I doing wrong?I tried varying the speed,added a trailer hook on the spoon,all no luck.

Thanks

Dave

You probably are not doing anything wrong. You were actually probably doing everything right for the situation. We all have those days where we have plenty of hits but struggle to get the fish in the boat. The hardest part is getting them to bite which was not you problem. I remember a day where I went 1 for 11. There are tons of factors that may or may not have changed your success rate in boating those fish. Hang in there.

Hey guys,

My son and I were out this am,fishing 115 fow. We were 3 for 11.We got into a school of Coho and only managed to land one.We landed a laker as well as a pink.

I was trolling around the 2.3-2.5 mph mark. A chilly Willy was the hot spoon on a cheater,rigger was down 75'.We lost all the fish about 40' behind the boat when the fish surfaced.The coho we did land was foul hooked.

I'm assuming all the ones we lost where fouled hooked as well.We watched them do a couple of rolls then they were gone.

What am I doing wrong?I tried varying the speed,added a trailer hook on the spoon,all no luck.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, good job on the having the hits anyway. We have started sharpening hooks more frequently, but on the last trip, 6 for 11, so as was stated earlier, sometimes it just doesn't work. Sure is a beautiful lake thought isn't it!

Keep at it.

Paul C.

Sharp hooks are Coho medicine. They are notorious for rolling after hooked, and they wrap up a lot. Short strikes aren't the issue most of the time, the hooks aren't sharp. If you don't sharpen your hooks right out of the package you are making a big mistake. To tell if the hook is sharp, drag the point across your thumbnail. If the hook grabs it is sharp if it just slides and doesn't leave a scratch sharpen it. I personally have gone to changing all of my hooks to Gamakatsu blood reds, they are factory sharp and the red seems to appeal to the fish, especially Coho and Steelhead. Nice job on finding a school of fish that were willing.

U might also try switching to single hooks..possibly rig them with a barrel swivel between the spoon and single hook. I've come to realize that during a fishes struggle for freedom the treble hooks multiple points actually work against one another.. On side gives leverage and can pop the hook loose. I have tried the with all my flys and definitely saw a decrease in lost fish. I also use a "tonic" plug which utalizes a large single hook I've yet to lose a fish on it yet.. Best of luck

sharp hooks and singles vs. trebles but what i am surprised is nobody asked you why you thought all the fish you lost were foul hooked? as stated coho are known for roliing and getting off etc. if the fish was foul hooked in some spots i think you would be less likely to lose it , but yes other spots it was foul hooked maybe more likely. i would bet they were not all foul hooked. good luck you will have better, worse and days just like that- thats fishing!

Hey GM,

Yes I was assuming that they were foul hooked,I think because the one I landed was. They may have all been hooked in the mouth and I only landed the one that was foul hooked. Good point.

A buddy and I went out yesterday again,68 fow and 41' down, we ended up 6 for 7.2 coho and 4 lakers. Biggest was approx. 6 lbs.

All the fish except one were caught on lures I made. I made one the night before,similar to a chilly goose with an orange stripe and the other lure I made in the boat to copy that one. I named them orange goose and second attempt.

A few trollers were getting walleye, lakers and coho yesterday. Nice mixed bag.

Oh yea forgot to mention I changed a bunch of hooks and sharpened all that went in the water.

Tightlines

Dave