Went 14 miles out (44 line) to find the scum line and cold water. Had a 20° temp change 10' down. Got a late start and didn't get set until 7. Went 6 for 10 all steelhead on 75' and 150' copper on boards with regular size spoons. Big fish was ten pounds. Bite shut off with the rising sun. Had to check lines frequently because of all the crap in the water.

Sure was nice to have flat water and a beautiful day.

I was all the way out there with you. Went 6 for 8 with 2 lakers and 4 steel. lost a nice king at the back of the boat. caught fish from 3,5 10 color down to 72 ft on a rigger, with 3 color being the hottest. Went in for lunch at noon went way back out there in the same spot at 3pm and got 3 kings, then nothing, not a hit the rest of the night. waited for fireworks to get back in.

That's a long ways out. Nice job.

A few years back, we ran 22 miles offshore to the temp break. Well worth the effort. Once we found it, the fish were there:thumb:

how do you guys find the temp break ? - (is thermocline same thing?)

obviously you need a temp sensor in the water - do you move slowing until you find it or do you already have a good idea where its at before you leave and go from there.

later in the summer if the temp break/thermocline is near the bottom do you go deeper until you get a decent amount of water depth below the thermocline ? my guess is if the break is deep say 90 feet in 100 feet of water you would want to get out to where there's 20 to 30 feet under the thermo - i cant imagine a lot of fish only being in the bottom 10 feet in 100 feet of water.- i could be wrong

how do you guys find the temp break ? - (is thermocline same thing?)

obviously you need a temp sensor in the water - do you move slowing until you find it or do you already have a good idea where its at before you leave and go from there.

later in the summer if the temp break/thermocline is near the bottom do you go deeper until you get a decent amount of water depth below the thermocline ? my guess is if the break is deep say 90 feet in 100 feet of water you would want to get out to where there's 20 to 30 feet under the thermo - i cant imagine a lot of fish only being in the bottom 10 feet in 100 feet of water.- i could be wrong

Surface temperature is the break I was looking for offshore fishing. I believe in my case, it was cold water all the way out, then we found 53-55* water. I used this as an estimate

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7#post7

We just kept heading to where the surface temp map suggested the change in the water temp was, and indeed it was pretty close.