7-5-04 AuGres Report

Want to start by thanking the guys like Mike and Priority 1 who post on a regular basis. I get on the bay once a year and it sure helps to have an idea of what the fish want before I hit the water. Took a four-man limit this morning from 7-11 am in 30-35 fow running six boards and two lines off the boat. Fish were 16-26". All but one came off the bottom. We were on the east side of the shipping channel, about 7 miles south of AuGres. The fish showed a preference for small Colorado blades in silver/blue, silver/purple, and copper/pink/charteuse.

Hey guys thanks for the reports. If I may ask a couple questions. I was there for the first time ever out of Augres we did put 7 in the boat all nice eaters same water same colors mentioned. But we are doing something wrong being newbies to the bay (we fish ssalmon primarly westsiders). We couldn't tell when fish where hitting on the boards and who knows how long we drug them around for. I could see other guys jumpimg for rods so I know they are seeing something how do you hook up your boards. We couldnt tell so we just checked them from time to time and picked up what we got but a 3hr drive over is rough for a couple of clueless guys if you could offer some lessons/resources would be greatly appreciated. I must also say that I was absolutely blown away by the town of Augres and the nice people there where where shocked at how nice they where guy at the gas station text the marina owner to see if he was coming in so we could buy a battery offered us the one in the back of his truck offered to have his wife bring a charger to us, Guy at the marina that was open helped us find the blown fuse in the motor that got us back on the water to the lady at the motel who had no rooms but once she found out we where going to sleep in the van gave us blankets just truely kind nice people it was a shock honestly because its been so long since I've been treated that nicely by strangers. My buddy said it best wow hunans treating humans humanly. I just can't say enough about how wonderful a town Augres is. Now if we could just figure out how to read that bite off the boards we would be in! Thanks in advace to any who reply!

I had the same problem. The short answer is time on the water watching little yellow boards. Even with tattle flags the bite can be hard to pick up, add bigger waves even harder. I try to run all the same weight on one side, helps to keep boards in same line. If one starts moving back or the back end drops a little lower in the water check it.