downrigger weights

Regardless of shape you are going to get blowback with an 8# weight once it gets below about 50'. What kind of dpwnrigger do you have?

One option that will help some is the Yeck 8# Torpedo shape rigger weight. There are others, but are for the most part 10#+.

Where are you running the line release from? If it is off the ball, change to one that is on the rigger wire -- Blacks, Roamer, Chamberlain, any stacker release.

The downriggers are cannon easi troll. the problem is they are mounted on a lund 1775 impact with trax mounts. The mounts say 8 lb weight ball max so no downriggers issues themselves as the cannons are 1 yr old as is the boat

I suggest you change to a solid mount with backer plates. no more problems. Even my 14# weights blow back. What is critical is getting the same amount of wire out to reach the same depth consistently. I actually run a 12# ball on my wire that has my Fishawk probe on it. Good luck.

Regardless of shape you are going to get blowback with an 8# weight once it gets below about 50'. What kind of dpwnrigger do you have?

One option that will help some is the Yeck 8# Torpedo shape rigger weight. There are others, but are for the most part 10#+.

Where are you running the line release from? If it is off the ball, change to one that is on the rigger wire -- Blacks, Roamer, Chamberlain, any stacker release.

Just curious, you get less blow back I assume, but wondering why?

Just added a Fish hawk and suspect with 10# balls blow back will increase.

tia

al

Just curious, you get less blow back I assume, but wondering why?

Just added a Fish hawk and suspect with 10# balls blow back will increase.

tia

al

It depends on the weight but I have seen a little less blow back with the "inline" releases verses the pinch pad type off the back of the balls. Definitely makes a difference with the torpedo and shark shaped weights -- it changes their orientation in the water.

Adding any of the downspeed/temp probes will increase your blowback. Generally using a ball that is 2# heavier on the probe rigger offsets the probe's additional drag.

The downriggers are cannon easi troll. the problem is they are mounted on a lund 1775 impact with trax mounts. The mounts say 8 lb weight ball max so no downriggers issues themselves as the cannons are 1 yr old as is the boat

Given that the mounting track is only one of many parts of an equation to determine the downward force of a downrigger weight, I'm not sure how they could make that determination. The weight of the downrigger and the boom length are going to be major factors in determining how much pressure is put on the mount. A 4' boom is a much bigger lever than a shorter one. It is probably Lund doing a CYA for the worst case situation.

I would call Traxstech as they make/sell setups for the Lund mounting system. Maybe their system would distribute the force better. I'm sure Jeff at Traxstech can tell you if the 8# restriction is valid.

There are certain rigger wires that range from 8-20 lb. balls. So, get the best wire strength that fits you're particular application, and go from there. It's not an all wire fits the application, it's what fit's the particular target. Just imho comment. The "rocket science" factor always applies, for sure!