7/3/2014, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

After a couple days off the water we nicely got back into the fish again today fishing a new spot. Evidently the commercial fishermen have moved or removed a bunch of their trap nets, so we set up in about 24 feet of water in the area where just a couple weeks ago was littered with nets. It was raining off and on for the first couple hours of the charter and the fishing was fairly slow as we only took about five keeper walleyes per hour then. In the last hour of the trip though the bite picked up and my customers limited on with walleyes mostly in the 19 to 21 inch range. They also caught some nice yellow perch too which were about 9-10 inches long. Most of the fish were tight to the bottom today so we stuck with the bottom-bouncer/spinner/crawler trolling program that we have been using a lot this year. I marked a few fish up higher in the water column today, but I'd estimate that only 1/10, of one percent of the fish were up off the bottom more than two feet today. I did not see any color preference today as all of my harnesses got hit about equally. I'm using natural silvers to bright florescent colors all with #3 Colorado blades and no more than a three inch crawler (half of a big crawler or a full smaller crawler with the tail thrown away). Trolling speed was also not real critical today as we caught fish at 1.0 to 1.8 mph as the variable and swirling winds causes my speed to fluctuate a lot. I also trolled both with and into the wind with good success both ways. My customers today were from the Atlanta, MI area. He brought something on the boat that I had never had before, smoked venison tenderloin (filet men-yon). It was seriously delicious. It had been about 15 years since they fished with me before on Saginaw Bay. With this outstanding fishing we have here now, I doubt it will be that before his return trip. In fact, with the nice perch he saw today, he is considering a late summer perch trip this year.

Capt. Mike Veine

Nice job Mike!

I ran into a loose buoy last weekend on the east side of the channel out of Au Gres. Just one white buoy, claimed 2 harnesses and 2 bouncers.....just a buoy and some rope.....didn't see it until last minute.