got two trolling bags and its really difficult to steer. is it better to have them towards to bow or back by the motor for control? just curious.

On my boat, and on others I've been on, the bags are positioned just a little to the rear of the midway point, or around 2/3 rds down from the front. On my boat, I attach them to the cleats positioned about a third of the way from the front of the boat.

Once you get them adjusted for your boat you'll love the stability they provide.

Paul C.

Tied to front cleats and run a little behind midship. Never in the way and keep pressure on the bow also if I need to I can un hook the rear lines and they become sea anchors with no other changes. This way they slow the boat keep down pressure on the bow and help stabilize roll. Having a rear line does 3 things it keeps the bags from going under the boat makes them easy to retrieve ( just pull them up from the rear line ) and if your front line breaks you don't lose the bag happened 2 years ago. Once I tuned mine to the boat I have never changed the rope settings. They go in and out in seconds so if I want a fast troll I pull them if I want to stay on a target speed I run them.

I too run them just aft of midship, out boat is big, and wide with auto pilot so steering is never a problem. The aft lines are a must, makes retrieving the bags a snap. Biggest issue we have is the amount of turbulence they create, makes the Graph give false readings if the bags are too far back.

I agree on them turbulence creating issues. I couldn't figure out why my fish hawk wouldn't read properly and finally realized that it was the trolling bags.

I run my bags off the midship cleats. Run them just long enough to keep them in the water when its rough, the bow bobbing up and down will pull them out of the water if your lines are too short. Might take some experimenting.

Tied to front cleats and run a little behind midship. Never in the way and keep pressure on the bow also if I need to I can un hook the rear lines and they become sea anchors with no other changes. This way they slow the boat keep down pressure on the bow and help stabilize roll. Having a rear line does 3 things it keeps the bags from going under the boat makes them easy to retrieve ( just pull them up from the rear line ) and if your front line breaks you don't lose the bag happened 2 years ago. Once I tuned mine to the boat I have never changed the rope settings. They go in and out in seconds so if I want a fast troll I pull them if I want to stay on a target speed I run them.

I run them just like 1MAINIAC. Very easy to pull them up from the back.