Charlevoix Salmon

Guys,

I started fishing in Charlevoix near Medusa when I was a teenager in the 70's. My uncle was stationed at the radar site near Petoskey, and he kept his house when he left. I was there often in the 1980s and 1990s when he was still spending summers there, but he passed away seven or eight years ago, and I've only been there once since. I didn't take a boat and there wasn't much tackle left, so I ate my pride and headed for the Bear River at Petoskey. Needed at least one fish and couldn't fish at Medusa anymore.

I'm planning a trip for late September/early October. I don't know what to expect. The water levels were way down last time I was there in 2006 or 2007, but I hear they came back this year. Can you still launch near the concrete plant (16' Starcraft v-hull, 4 wheel drive Tacoma) or do I need to launch at the public launch on Lake Charlevoix? What's a good time to get the run? Late September/early October? Any other advice?

Have spent many of the best hours of my life there. Any information would be much appreciated.

That might be a little late. And I wouldn't put in at the cement plant. There are some big boulders just uder the surface. I am usually done fishing over by the first of October. But if you can fish up really shallow or in the ship slip there are salmon in there until November. But are half dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

I think the Salmon fishing up there has really slowed. We tried it there at the end of August last year, and never even got a bite. The water is way up from last year, but it still would be advisable to launch in town.

Nailer is right on the fishing there being slow. There are days that everyone is catching fish and then the next few no one can catch any or just a couple. It hasn't been consistent for a few years.

Went to Charlevoix yesterday and took my 3 nieces 9,7 and 4. They each got a laker not big enough to keep and a 25" laker and a 16" splake that had a tapeworm threw that in garbage. And right at the end I brought in a 15# or so king on a dipsy. Didn't mark very many at all. But most of the lakers were only 75' in 100-120fow.