Wat is your belief in copper depth 30# vs. 45#

Wondered wHat I guys believe as far as sink rates in copper lines. The blood run chart seems to suggest little difference between 30# and 45# while other resources suggest a great difference. I realize many factors play a role in depth achieved so for the sake of simplicity I'm looking for 2.5mph standard spoon info. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

As shown on Blood Run's dive curve chart, copper depth is very dependent on trolling speed. 2.0 vs 2.5 mph can result in 30% more depth at the same length out. The depth achieved can also be affected by currents quite a bit. Since currents can be different at various depths a current at 40' can make a 300' copper that in no current runs at 70' down loose 10' of depth.

From hearing how Gregg at Blood Run did the tests with the Smart Troll probes, the depths should be very accurate. He was as surprised as anyone that there was not more difference in depths between the 32 and 45.

I would be interested in seeing if there is a difference between the two when trolling flasher/fly setup. Maybe the 45 lb would go a little deeper in that situation.

I would be interested in seeing if there is a difference between the two when trolling flasher/fly setup. Maybe the 45 lb would go a little deeper in that situation.

When we did the dive charts, we did put a couple of flashers out on 45lb and 32lb. Standard size Spin Doctors had a small bit of "lift" on the numbers. When you put an 11" paddle out, we saw up to 15 feet of lift.

The amount of lift was the same for both sizes of copper. The only copper capable of holding down flashers is 60lb.

45lb copper is only 6 thousandths of an inch larger in diameter than 32lb copper, and .5 lb heavier (300' spools). A half pound bigger sounds like a lot, but when stretched out over 300 feet..it just is not that big of a difference.

If you had a 1.5lb weight snapped to a 100 foot piece of mono, and a 1lb weight snapped to another 100 foot piece of mono, both snapped in the same place...the 1.5lb would have a noticeably greater angle of descent. If you dispersed that weight differential over 300 feet (like copper line), not so much.

I am quite sure that the sink rates blood run shows are close. I really don't worry too much, I only am sure that 300' of 45# copper is one of my top presentations and is always out. Its a really versatile tool. You just have to learn to hand the copper rod to the newbie. Makes for a tired but happy fisherman when he gets the fish in.

Thanks blood run for you input. Also thank you for all the work you guys put in over there to help put fish on our boats. Though changes in my life have now restricted me to my aluminum 14 footer coppers are still my "go to" presentation with great results

Thanks blood run for you input. Also thank you for all the work you guys put in over there to help put fish on our boats. Though changes in my life have now restricted me to my aluminum 14 footer coppers are still my "go to" presentation with great results

Np Fowl. Always something new to learn and share about the game. Good luck out there.

• 4 weeks later...