Wire line Rods

Hi Guys , I am having a hard time finding wire line rods , it seams all of the places I had been buying from have disappeared? I am looking for aftco type roller rods for wire . Any help.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,

Just go with a standard trolling rod and add a twill tip and your wire problems are solved. I tried roller rods, and went back to the Okuma Dipsy rod with the twill tip. I no longer have wire skipping and hanging up.

So a standard dipsy rod will run run wire? Without damage to guides? Also what are the requirements for reels? Anything special? Ive got 2 magna pros just collecting dust... Would they work?

It can, but for me it isn't nearly as pleasant of an experience compared to a roller rod with the AFCO guides (Shimano Talora, Daiwa Heartland, Okuma BLT-WR). The regular guides have a lot more resistance. If you have never used a good quality roller rod you may not see the difference. The Torpedo 19 strand wire is finer and does provide less resistance on regular guides.

I have also used some of the roller rods with guides with less tolerances and it was not fun with the wire getting caught between the rollers and the frame. Most are also quite heavy due to the weight of the guides.

As for the reels, they should have very smooth quality drags. I wouldn't use a Magda for wire -- especially on a regular guide rod.

So a standard dipsy rod will run run wire? Without damage to guides? Also what are the requirements for reels? Anything special? Ive got 2 magna pros just collecting dust... Would they work?

Yes any standard dipsey rod with the hard ceramic guides and a Twill tip will work. If you want me to I will post a pic of the set up when I get back from my trip Tuesday. As for reels that is where u should spend you money. Good line counters are critical and put the whole 1000' of line on with suffiecien backer to fill the spool. I use Diawa Line counters. Magda pro 20's should work, but be sure you keep checking the line counters.

Last year i added a Okuma 10.5 Tournament Series to my spread. It's a sweet setup. Last night i just put a twillitip on one of my 10.5 ft Ugly Sticks. Put a Convector 45D with 1000 ft of 7 strand torpedo wire as its all i could find locally.

Also added a slide diver rod into the mix as the charter i was on last weekend ran 2 of them high and back 225 to 300 these took alot of hits for us with lemon ice on both of them. So good luck with your entry into the world of wire. Flat out wire catches fish and your gonna love feeling everything that fish does.

I will post my results with my modified Ugly Stick setup.

Grizzl

It can, but for me it isn't nearly as pleasant of an experience compared to a roller rod with the AFCO guides (Shimano Talora, Daiwa Heartland, Okuma BLT-WR). The regular guides have a lot more resistance. If you have never used a good quality roller rod you may not see the difference. The Torpedo 19 strand wire is finer and does provide less resistance on regular guides.

I have also used some of the roller rods with guides with less tolerances and it was not fun with the wire getting caught between the rollers and the frame. Most are also quite heavy due to the weight of the guides.

As for the reels, they should have very smooth quality drags. I wouldn't use a Magda for wire -- especially on a regular guide rod.

Has anyone used the okuma BLT-WR-862MH WIRE RODs and are they better than the Blue diamond roller rods , I have the Blue diamond roller rods and are not happy with them. I see that the Big water rods have a swivel tip making it better right off the bat but I would need some input before buying them.

Jim

I've had blue diamonds as well and, was not happy with them. Okuma has a Great Lakes series with all stainless conventional guides and swivel roller tip that works great and is half the cost of a talora. I also would not trust the magna pro with wire.

The 8' talora rods are 119.00 and the Okumas BLT-WR-862s are 94.99 but I don't think that the stainless guides are the way to go. The taloras are 6" shorter , and if you get the 8'6" in talora the price jumps by 100.00 what is up with that?

The last straw was this last weekend when my wife says what this , and she had part of the roller from a bluer diamond rod in her hand, Luckly I had a spare tip left over from when I broke one of them and That was due to the fact that the wire will get caught in the rollers from time to time. This this why I am trying to get the input and where I would normally buy from is gone. So if you have used the full roller rods (BLT-WR-862MH) please leave you input . I prefer Okuma to Talora ( I think its all over priced ) Just because of the popularity of it . But if I get bad feed back on the okumas I will go the Talora route. I just don't' want to keep buying rods that don't work as described.

I wish I could touch feel test out with my own hands before buying but no big box stores here sell them.

I have good quality reels on my blue diamonds it just the rod that suck. The okuma rods I mentioned look good and I am close to pulling the trigger on them. Just want to make a good informed decision.

The more expensive Talora has the swivel tip AFCO guide. Just the guide is a $60 part.

I have the 9' Taloras with the swivel tip. When you lock the rod into the rod holder with the gimbal butt it is nice to have the wire come off the tip on the roller. Without the swivel tip it doesn't line up correctly.

The other thing I really like about the Talora rods is the lifetime warranty. Have sent 2 of the 7' rods in due to eye rings coming loose and one of the roller rods because the gimbal butt broke. In all cases they were replaced in less than a week. Just cost me the postage to send them in.

20 dollar Medium/heavy wilderness rods with twilly tip. No problems 4 years and good action for low divers. 10.5' old school charters choice with twillys for highs and good also. Fished with my Tiara once as an observer and saw a diawa super expensive diver roller rod break off 3-4 times same morning. Not sure why but twilly tips seam economical and work. Spend money on real:D:thumb:

Well I have used a setup similar to the twilli tip and didn't care for it , thanks for everyone's input. ordered up 2 of the new big lake roller rods . Hope the weather cooperates as soon as I receive them .

Anyone interested in 2 blue diamond roller rods?

Tight lines

Jim

Has anyone used the okuma BLT-WR-862MH WIRE RODs and are they better than the Blue diamond roller rods , I have the Blue diamond roller rods and are not happy with them. I see that the Big water rods have a swivel tip making it better right off the bat but I would need some input before buying them.

Jim

I have blue diamond and one of the other blt rods. The blt has goodd back bone but yet a soft tip and i love it. I have never had the wire get caught in between the rollers or any problems. I bought a 10' talora this year from anglers ave at the sport show in G.R. for 200.00 wich is a great price for a 10 footer. i just always wanted to try one and for the price i bought it. the blue diamond just does not have any back bone to it , not like the blt does. just my .02

well guys the Okuma Blue Diamonds are up for sale in the classifieds , Price is posted there. not sure if I can post it here.

One side note, the new rods look very much like the old ones except they have a swivel tip . I will post a review later after I get a few hours with them.

Jim