Trap nets off Ludington

i saw some boueys floating around in front of the project a week and a half ago. In about 75 fow. not sure what they were. I though they had a stick with a flag or marker on top. these were just round and about a foot in diameter. We just stayed clear of them.

This was the list published a few weeks ago but since then some nets were removed:

http://www.ludingtonsalmon.com/fil_a/Net%20Alert%2005-24-2014%20(1).pdf

As the update link said, nets were lost over the winter and they were searching to recover them. Nets could have moved over winter due to weather, winds and currents. Hopefully, they got the ones Matt spotted markers by since he was last out.

Got an email from LACA on June 2 that more were removed:

CFS Steve Huff, Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Law Enforcement Division, Commercial Fish Enforcement Unit has informed us that five nets have been located and removed: NETS REMOVED BY CONTRACTOR Depth 110 FOW. Location N43 58.821 W086 35.541 Depth 150 FOW. Location N43 58.513 W086 36.399 Depth 1145 FOW. Location N43 56.818 W086 35.400 Depth 90 FOW. Location N43 52.564 W086 29.505. Depth 150 FOW. Location N43 51.022 W086 32.329

Edited by EdB
Added original email text

Thanks very much EdB, that is what I would have posted too. To Matt, those remaining net markers in front of the PSP, (Pump Storage Project), aka the project(s), is quite possibly to mark their private net to block fish from getting into the turbines that run up and down in creating electric energy. The other fisherman's net markers are long gone now. That's why the special contractor is removing the danger that was carelessly left behind the last 1-1/2 years. That's how long the net fisherman left them unattended, not since last August in reality. I'm right next door and have witnessed the fisherman for about 10 years now.

Yeah, not sure what the ones i saw were but i am certain it was not the psp net because we were a little north of the project and out in 75 to 100 fow. Whatever it was i am glad someone is taking care of this. I here the guy who ran the nets is in prison now so maybe i will see him, as i am a correctoins officer. THey need to take some responsibilty for these nets because everyone is tired of this garbage floating around our lake.

Matt, I agree, if you were in 75-100 fow, that's too deep to be the PSP net. They are in shallower water, like 40'. Report all net markers to the DNR in this case, so we have a rightful place to remove them now. Thanks for your input and evaluations. Yes, that guy had a legal problem that is taking it's course now, unfortunately for him, and us, as recipients of the great white fish and other species.

Thanks for the link Ed, I couldn't find that link on there site this year, so thank you.

I had heard he was going to be put away thats to bad the state has to pick up his mess I hope they can charge him for the experience. Also it will be nice to fish without nets around. Did they find and remove all known nets or still in the process?

Thanks Gordon. I will make it up this weekend to fish Saturday and with any luck we won't find any net parts and put some fish in the box, I will mark that spot and stear clear from

Thanks and good luck I will let you all know if I find anything else out this weekend

Got this last night 6-17 from the LCBA:

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL BOATERS: TWO 1300 FT NETS HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO BE FLOATING FREELY OUT IN FRONT OF LUDINGTON. KEEP A LOOK OUT FOR THESE NETS. APPROXIMATE LOCATION IS IN 61 FEETOF WATER LL 5500/2900. ANOTHER NET IS REPORTED TO BE IN 106 FEET OF WATER 5500/2900. THE AREA IS BASICALLY STRAIGHT OUT FROM THE HARBOR. if YOU SEE THESE EITHER ONE OR BOTH OF THESE NETS PLEASE CALL THE Michigan DNR RAP LINE. WITH LINE OF STORMS THAT AFFECTED THE AREA TODAY THE NETS HAVE MOVED AND A SEARCH IS ON FOR THESE 2 NETS.

Thanks Ed got the same email yesterday wasn't sure how to post it , I'm technologically challenged. I wish they would get their story straight one time there all removed now their back.

I wish they would get their story straight one time there all removed now their back.

Since those nets are floating, I think they were lost elsewhere and blew in, just a guess? They did not have any anchored in 60 ft of water the past year and nobody is actively fishing now. Maybe they are pieces of the nets they were lost over winter? I'm just glad there is some action to try to communicate and get them out.

Since those nets are floating, I think they were lost elsewhere and blew in, just a guess? They did not have any anchored in 60 ft of water the past year and nobody is actively fishing now. Maybe they are pieces of the nets they were lost over winter? I'm just glad there is some action to try to communicate and get them out.

Could be the nets that were off Whitehall. The last I heard, quite a few of those have not been found.

Could be the nets that were off Whitehall. The last I heard, quite a few of those have not been found.

Possible I found a church board one Memorial day weekend that managed to make it to Ludington in 2 weeks from when it was lost.I called the number on the board and the captain was surprised to hear it made it that far and that fast as he was fishing south of Grand Haven when he broke it off on a fish.