6/5/2014, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

Today was one of those "Pure Michigan" commercials kind of days with clear, blue skies and a nice breeze to put a nice "walleye chop" on the water. We set the same hot program as the previous day in the same general location and the walleyes hit practically non-stop until we had caught our limits very quickly. This is a massive school of fish we are fishing that likely encompasses over 20 square miles of water and ranges from shallow water to depths over 35 feet. Today we did a three mile trolling pass and never ran out of fish. The fish ran bigger today with most of our walleyes measuring over 20 inches. In fact only a few were under 20". We lost some dandy fish too but when you are hooking fish constantly, it really doesn't mater in the end how many fish are lost. We were trolling with the same variety of spinner/crawler rigs that I've had on my poles all week and the fish showed no color preference today as they hit everything we put in the water. I only ran six rods today and that was more than enough to get the job done. Our trolling speed varied a lot as we were trolling with the wind in two foot waves and our speed was in the 1.3 to 1.7 mph range. The weather is predicted to be very nice for the next few days, so this world class walleye fishing should keep going for the foreseeable future.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_8678.JPG

Nice work Mike. Gotta Luv what we have going in this great state. :thumb: Thanks for the good reports. The Saginaw Bay is really starting to shine. This fishery is second to none with consistent catches year after year.

I may just see my way clear to get out there for a couple of days. I have had a lot going on that kept me on shore. Time to turn up the heat on those tasty walleye. I hope to see you on the pond. It's always good to know when friends are in the area.:)

6-4 we went out of sunset and picked up a 3 man limit with purple and green in 16 ft of water, yesterday we didn't do worth of crap. Didn't hit the water till 10 and fished for about 6 hours. Picked up 3 and two 10lb cats, loosing number 4 at the boat.

Thanks for the report Mike.

I took a friend out of the Saginaw yesterday and fished close with the NE wind. Boated one nice keeper, lost one at the net, and a gar pike before getting blown off.

First effort to filet a gar pike, and what an experience that was. Like tryin to filet an armadillo! Didn't taste bad, but won't be doin that again.

Never a bad day to go fishing!

6-4 we went out of sunset and picked up a 3 man limit with purple and green in 16 ft of water, yesterday we didn't do worth of crap. Didn't hit the water till 10 and fished for about 6 hours. Picked up 3 and two 10lb cats, loosing number 4 at the boat.

You are the only person I have ever heard of that ate a Gar. I have only caught a few of those in all my years and eating one nevery really crossed my mind.:no:

The fishing continues to be great. We took a nice box of walleyes very quickly this morning. We had 15 keepers in 65 minutes of fishing. Most of the fish were over 20 inches today with the biggest being 25". I fished a new area for most of the trip that was chuck full of fish. Same program as yesterday. I did hear of a couple quick limits straight out from Au Gres in 30 to 35 feet of water this morning, so that is good news with the predicted possible storms the next couple days.