is it legal to trade for salmon?

I grew up in Holland and I took for granted how easy it was (relatively speaking) to bag a few kings on a saturday morning and have them in the smoker that afternoon.

Now I live in North Carolina...and one farm raised fillet at costco will run me $30.00 and it's gone in one sitting.

I remember how much fish was wasted by those who fished and didn't like fish, or just had a freezer full of it already....

Is it legal to trade items for fresh caught salmon... I'm just saying I've a timeshare I never use that it would be great to trade it or something else of value for a few overnight kings once in awhile?

The regulations say buy or sell, they don't say trade or barter?

any thoughts?

thanks!

I also think it is illegal to barter/trade game fish for whatever. But, I'm not sure how anyone would ever prove where the salmon came from considering I can go down to Meijer or Sam's Club and buy all the salmon I want from the fresh fish cooler.

In the past I have brought lots of bags of fresh filleted salmon to work after a good trip. Never had a problem giving it away with no expectations of receiving anythning for it. Now that's not to say that others who happened to get the fish would bring me fresh veggies or a pie or... at other times too. That I have taken smoked salmon to my barber and auto mechanic I'm sure hasn't hurt either.

...but officer, I saw it on Alaskan Bush People.

Please sign here, sir.

Don't know the answer, but certainly wouldn't base my decision on a TV show. It may or may not be legal and getting caught if illegal is maybe a stretch. I recently witnessed the investigative powers of both the Wyoming and Michigan DNR. It was unbelievable what they were able to piece together 7 years after the event. I have a couple friends that no longer can hunt or fish in both states for some period of time.

If I were to trade some like fasteners it would be for the fresh water inside the ziplock bag.... You people aren't very clever..... I can't help it that the fish you chose to throw away is also in the ziplock bag !!!!

Nobodies trading anything for salmon , I donate stainless screws to needy families all the time , so others donate to "Boltmans Food Pantry" as well . Sweet Jesus Give these men something else to talk about ..... Amen.

If I were to trade some like fasteners it would be for the fresh water inside the ziplock bag.... You people aren't very clever..... I can't help it that the fish you chose to throw away is also in the ziplock bag !!!!

Nobodies trading anything for salmon , I donate stainless screws to needy families all the time , so others donate to "Boltmans Food Pantry" as well . Sweet Jesus Give these men something else to talk about ..... Amen.

Well, the original post was a question about trading a timeshare or "something else of value" for salmon. It was pretty clear.

It is illegal to buy or sell fish caught in Michigan. The form of payment, whether it is for money or other forms of payment should not matter. Alaska may be different and it does not sound like the fish were caught under a sport fishing license either in the example cited. From the Michigan Fishing Guide:

It Is Unlawful To

• Possess or transport any live transgenic (genetically engineered) organism or any live specimen of the following non-native fish, crayfish, or freshwater mollusk: bighead carp, black carp, silver carp, grass carp (white amur), members of the snakehead family (Channidae), bitterling, Ide, Japanese weatherfish, rudd, tench, Eurasian ruffe, tubenose goby, round goby, rusty crayfish, zebra mussel or quagga mussel. To do so may result in civil fines up to $10,000.
  • Possess or use for bait any crayfish species not native to Michigan waters, whether alive or dead, on any waters of this state.
  • Import, plant or transplant live game fish including viable eggs of any game fish without permit.
  • Buy or sell fish or parts of fish, reptiles, amphibians or crayfish taken under a sport fishing license.
  • Take fish for the sole purpose of removing the eggs.
  • Harvest or attempt to harvest freshwater mussels (clams or bivalves) whether living or dead, including the shell or parts thereof, from any waters of the state.
  • Exception 1: Zebra and quagga mussels may be taken.
  • Exception 2: A special cultural or scientific investigation permit may be obtained from the DNR for the taking of freshwater mussels.
  • Harvest, attempt to harvest, or possess any threatened or endangered species except as authorized by the DNR. For more information, see michigan.gov/fishing and click on Managing Michigan’s Fisheries.
  • Use multi-pointed hooks exceeding 3⁄8″ between point and shank and/or single-pointed hooks exceeding ½” between point and shank on all streams (including tributaries to the Great Lakes) from Aug. 1 to May 31.
  • Use lures exceeding one ounce on all streams from Aug. 1 to May 31 except when fishing in the Detroit R., St. Clair R., and St. Marys R.
  • Possess or sell a multi-pointed hook with a weight permanently attached.
  • Possess illegally harvested fish or mutilated fish that cannot be measured or identified.
  • Possess more than the Michigan daily possession limit when fishing in Michigan waters even if holding licenses from more than one state or province.
  • Commercially take, possess, or sell rusty crayfish (Orconectes rusticus) in Michigan.
  • Commercially take amphibians or reptiles in Michigan.
  • Disturb or remove reptile eggs from the wild without a permit.
  • Fish for any species or possess fishing devices along a stream or lake closed to fishing.
  • Fish with your hands, firearms, explosives, setlines, poisons or methods other than lawful fishing methods.
  • Fish anywhere in a fish ladder or within 100 feet of a lamprey control weir.
  • Use a net to take a fish within 100 feet of a dam (landing nets are allowed to secure a legally hooked fish).
  • Use a seine for any species other than minnows.
  • Use cast nets in any inland water.
  • Shoot reptiles or amphibians with a firearm (including spring, air or gas propelled), bow and arrow, or crossbow.
  • Have a weight rigidly attached to a multi-pointed hook, or suspended from a multi-point hook.
  • Fish on a river, stream or drowned river mouth (Note 3) using a weight suspended below any hook unless the hook is on a dropper line (a leader) that is at least 3″ long.
  • Deposit litter, fish, offal or any foreign matter in any waters of the state or any lands, private or public.
  • Take or attempt to take fish outside of the open season for that species.
  • Commercially harvest wigglers from any state waters from Jun. 1 – Sep. 1.
  • Snag a fish or retain a fish not legally hooked in the mouth.

Yeah but a time share for salmon , come on ..... You can fly it in from Alaska cheaper.

Guy must be desperate. I'm dealing with a couple junkies myself who can't wait for the next Ziplock. Though could be the timeshare is in Muncie or Beirut for that matter. :D

Hey you try growing up fishing every saturday on Lake Michigan, having two smokers constantly full of fresh fish and then moving to North Carolina where the nearest salmon fillet is 50 miles away and a 15lb king cost the equivalent of $60+tax and that's for farm raised...$27.99 a lb for non-farm raised. Guess I could order from alaska, but would rather have something from the big lake. :-) I think the work junkie is pretty accurate.

I am learning to fly fish, hoping maybe a close substitute would be smoked brookies or a brown.... never tried smoking trout except small lakers...

I was curious about the whole idea of the barter, so I contacted the MI DNR. Here is an excerpt from the email I received.

"This would not be legal since it is considered to be a payment in another form. Therefore, I don’t recommend you trade fish caught on a sport fishing license to trade goods with another person."

Just an FYI.

Sorry for the late response, but I just found this tonight. VERY INTERESTING INDEED! As some members on this site I know, I also love to horse-trade, once in a blue moon. This whole thread goes to the one that believes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so to speak. It's a questionable judgment that some will make, and others will disagree with respectfully, while authorities in power will always disagree with in any shape, way, or form. If you side on the judgment that we are free Americans, and while not wanting to break the law, just to bend it slightly, while no one is the wiser, because, this is a private deal, not public, then go ahead. If you side on the judgment that we must all tow the line, whether perceived or really legal, and all our actions are subject to public scrutiny, well, then by all means don't do it. Since you released "pandora's box" on a public forum, I'd give it up, at least for now. Try waltersfisheries.com in Ludington for exceptional fresh salmon, lakers, and other smoked fish that can be bought for much less, and shipped on dry ice to your home via a phone call. In closing, "don't worry, be happy", lol.

Sorry for the late response, but I just found this tonight. VERY INTERESTING INDEED! As some members on this site I know, I also love to horse-trade, once in a blue moon. This whole thread goes to the one that believes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so to speak. It's a questionable judgment that some will make, and others will disagree with respectfully, while authorities in power will always disagree with in any shape, way, or form. If you side on the judgment that we are free Americans, and while not wanting to break the law, just to bend it slightly, while no one is the wiser, because, this is a private deal, not public, then go ahead. If you side on the judgment that we must all tow the line, whether perceived or really legal, and all our actions are subject to public scrutiny, well, then by all means don't do it. Since you released "pandora's box" on a public forum, I'd give it up, at least for now. Try waltersfisheries.com in Ludington for exceptional fresh salmon, lakers, and other smoked fish that can be bought for much less, and shipped on dry ice to your home via a phone call. In closing, "don't worry, be happy", lol.

Amen! Great post Ed!

So quick question why do we have charter boats , don't you pay for salmon ...... Why yes yes you do ....food for thought !!!

No you are still required to have a license for each person and you are paying for the opportunity to catch fish not the actual fish.The charters don't charge buy the pound for fish caught just a flat fee for a fishing experience.