Depth Raider help

I have a depth raider that came with the boat we purchased last fall.

Our readings for speed were significantly different from our other electronics. Upon inspection of the probe, I noticed that the paddle wheel was not spinning freely because the axel rod was bent.

I ordered a new probe and antenna. I have installed these item per the directions from Kell Lab. but only had the dashes on the console unit when we had the boat in the water.

Since then, I have restrung the the coated cable through the antenna, replaced the battery in the probe, and cut off and restrung the connection to the upper tab of the probe. I have not had the boat back in the water at this point, but only in a bucket of water and still only have the dashes on the console unit.

Question 1 is: since the probe will only work in the water, is a bucket of water "deep enough" to active the probe to send the RF signal?

Q2 - If it is deep enough, I am still only getting the dashes. How can I test that the probe is transmitting?

Q3, How to test to see if the transmission is being picked up by the antenna from the coated cable?

Q4, How to test from the console unit to the antenna connection?

I have been trying to contact Kell Lab this week, but that has been unsuccessful. Any help to correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Evans

• 2 weeks later...

If you are only getting dashes you have power but no info from the probe.

Yes it will work in a bucket of water .

Make sure 9 volt is good and installed correctly.

Make sure that your downrigger cable is connected to the correct tab on the probe.

(The one with the raised collar on it.)

You could try to use a piece of wire and connect it to the probe, put it in a bucket and connect the other end to the antenna to bypass the rigger cable.

Also try to test with a dedicated 12v batt (nothing else connected) because its possible that the engine or other equipt on boat is producing noise that is interfering with with the transmission of data from the probe to the display.

Thats about all i can think of, hope it helps

Thanks for the reply Griff.

Was finally able to talk to a tech at Kell Labs.

He mentioned to look at some simple things first

1. He said to make sure that the probe is suspended in the bucket, which I could not remember if I had so that was the first thing I did. Still dashes.

2. That Kell Labs have had at lease 8-9 instances where new 9v batteries were bad fresh out of the pack. I had already replaced the battery, so I put another new battery in the probe and that was the answer.

Looking forward to getting to MI this week.

Thanks again.

Ok , not to hy jack this thread, but I am haveing Simular issues, I had just replaced the cable and at first it would read Down to around 40ft, after this weekend it will not read past about 10, I did replace the battery , and get the same results, dos this sound like a antenna issue?

I agree with Sea Cat , i used to splash water on the antenna to get a reading.

I finally became tired of that and purchased a new antenna from Torpedo Fishing Products and have never looked back. Dashes on the display are a now a thing of the past.

One other thing to check is your connection from the cable to the probe. Most people are using a klincher connection including myself here is a link to it from this site.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19273

Guys check your antenna cable , I had a similar problem last year , turned out my antenna cable at the head unit went bad , put a new end on it and works great now . Took me a long time to figure it out as I had just redone my rigger and thought that was it , 3 hours later and a lot of head scratching . If you can test you cable first and go from there.

Guys check your antenna cable , I had a similar problem last year , turned out my antenna cable at the head unit went bad , put a new end on it and works great now . Took me a long time to figure it out as I had just redone my rigger and thought that was it , 3 hours later and a lot of head scratching . If you can test you cable first and go from there.

Who do I test the cable to no if that is it?

CHeck for continuity on the shield and the center wire. If either are bad your problem lies there. you would have to unplug the cable from the head unit ( this is where mine went bad the plug) and using a piece of wire and a tester check to make sure the wires are good. You could jump the plug after disconnecting and just check one end using a ohm meter. If I remember when I was doing the trouble shooting I used a long video cable and an adapter to check mine. Placed the probe in a bucket and it worked , so then i new it was the cable. The longer the run from the head unit to the rigger the bigger PITA it is . I had plenty of problems with that cable , I put a new end at the head unit and took out the plug on the other end . now it works flawlessly . But have to undo the clincher and wire ties to remove the rigger . My unit was only 3 years old.

post-2377-14498787907358_thumb.jpg

post-2377-14498787907673_thumb.jpg

post-2377-14498787907766_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

when i'm out trolling my GPS will read like 4.5 to 5.0 and the depth raider reads well 2.5 to 3.0 all the time doesn't really matter what direction it troll. i have used it two different times now and same thing is that normal first time i was catching fish but going alot fast then other boats! second time no fish do i trust the depth raider? any help please

Many questions so here goes the cable between the antenna and the head is just a RCA to RCA shielded cable I make my own and make them to the correct length to not have excess rolled up. Quality cable and ends reduces signal loss and improves the depth it will work to. My best setup was to actually bolt the probe to the cable and seal it completely. Doing this I have had it down over 300 and working. On coated cable I used shrink tube and a bead to stop my blacks release which was mounted above the probe The shrink tube would not let the bead slid up the cable and the blacks was allowed to spin free on the cable this keep my release and fishing gear about a ft above the probe. This setup had to be replaced every year so I stopped using the probe a few years ago however it worked very well when I used it I may try the torpedo wire and hook it back up after I get the boat running again. Frankly when I was fishing 3 or 4 times a week I did not need the probe at all I knew where the fish were and simply had to adjust my pattern for the wind and weather changes.

Just as a side note when I unplugged the cable to take the picture I pulled the cable too hard and loosed the cable , when I was out the next time I had problems , found them in the plug. Change the plug again , no more problems.