5/29/2014, Saginaw Bay, Au Gres, Fishing Report

After two days off the water due to rotten weather, we headed out today with light winds and clear skies predominating We went to the area where we had limited out on Monday, but with a southeast wind today, we set up about one mile southeast of that location to troll towards that area. When I stopped the boat there, I immediately noticed a lot of fish on the fish finder and they were all located tight to bottom. I set lines with a spread of spinner/crawler rigs taken to the bottom with heavy bottom/bouncers. We hadn't even gotten half the lines out when we hooked up with our first fish and that's the way the rest of the morning went as we had steady action until we had taken a limit in no time at all. We caught fish of all sizes today too for a perfect mix of small walleyes, medium ones and also some lunkers too. The fish were not fussy this morning as they took a variety of spinner patterns showing no real preference. We caught fish in waters 27 to 34 feet deep with 27-29 being best. I didn't try shallower than 27', but I suspect it would have been good. The trolling speed was pretty critical this morning as they bit best at 1.4 mph. One tenth of a mph more or less and they would not bite. Sharp hooks are a must at those slow trolling speeds in deep water and even then, we probably lost as many fish as we caught. I just had two rare June days open up from an otherwise completely booked month. Give me a call if you want to fish on June 20 or 21 as those are prime dates and won't last long.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_8675.JPG