Looking to get back in to Great Lakes Fishing

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I am looking to get back into Great Lakes fishing after almost 10 years. I no longer have the boat or towing vehicle I used back then. I am looking at a starcraft islander or similar aluminum boat. But my question is, has anyone ever towed with a 2012 Ford Edge? I have one with all wheel drive and has the towing package from the factory. It is rated to tow 3500#s and a tongue weight of 350 pounds. Ive seen on Iboats the dry weight of the islander models 191 and the 221 run anywhere from 1600-2200 pounds. My plan is to tow it to the lake and find a storage place to keep it there so Id be limiting the long distance tow to the start and end of the season. Any one have any experience with towing an islander or similar type boat that can be used on the Great Lakes with a Ford Edge?

Thanks,

Your hull weight range is what NADAGuides.com lists as well for the 22' models with most at 1850#. The 19' model is closer to 1,500#. Add the weight of the trailer (400-800# depending on model), tackle/equipment, and 6# per gallon of fuel to the hull for the full towing weight.

I have never been a big fan of towing with unibody vehicles. What seems to really make a difference is the weight ratio of vehicle to trailer being towed -- with heavier vehicles doing a better job. I used to tow with a Jeep Cherokee that was rated for 5,000# and it did tow the 4,600# boat but stopping was an issue and emergency stops were very difficult. Not towing a long distance will help, but I would not push the weight being towed to the limit. Pulling up hills and out of the water at launch ramps, plus stopping will be the biggest challenges.

Thanks for your reply. Does the NADA Guide weights typically include the motor and outdrive?

For I/O the weight includes the engine & outdrive. For outboards it deoends on the brand. For Starcraft it looks like they do.

I own a 22' Islander Hardtop and mostly pull short distances (10 Miles). My 2WD 4.3 Silverado is rated for 5000# towing capacity. This set up handles the load nicely. I don't think I'd go lighter than what I have. I'm pretty sure that with gear, fuel, and trailer you'd be at or over the 3500# rating. A truck scale would tell you exactly.

In windy conditions some of the lightweight vehicles pulling max loads have a tough time controlling them.

Not so sure the Edge would handle any evasive or quick maneuvering, plus towing guidelines for many vehicles are a bit optimist imho, they'll tow it, but that's about it.

Maybe have somebody tow it up and back for you?

Might be worth whatever the going rate for that is, maybe check with your friends?

Not sure where you live but maybe someone here can help tow it?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I tow a 22' glass boat with a grand Cherokee. 203k on her still yanks that boat around like nothing, like it has for the 14 years I've owned both. I also have an expedition with a 5.4l in it, and it pulls the boat better.

But it does not stop better, or control the boat better. Given my choice I take the jeep when I can. I have way more confidence in the jeep over that 7000# pig of a truck that I have no clue how Ford ever sold for the money they asked for it.

So you would be ok as long as you don't get too heavy, however, you'd be amazed how fast the weight piles up. Full tank of gas is 300# in my boat. Second battery, pile of gear, etc,etc.

Also, have a good set of tires and brakes on the tow vehicle. As a former certified auto tech (MI and ASE certs) I know all too well that people think their tires are in "good shape" when their not.