I have an original cannon speed an temp unit I got with a box of stuff.. I got everything with it but the probe.. Go figure. My question is it worth finding a probe for this unit? Or can I even get a probe for it??

Sent from my XT1055 using Great Lakes Fisherman mobile app

If you can find one, it might be. If I remember right the old Cannon Speed n Temp also had light level. Never paid much attention to it when I ran it, but with the clearer water now compared to back then, I kind of wish I still had it for curiosity sake.

• 2 weeks later...

So after contacting cannon I found out a new probe will run me a whopping $270... With that being said I think I'm gonna spend the extra money and go with moor sub troll.

Moor sub troll replacements I can find for about 200.. And from the research I have been doing the cannon speed-n-temp doesn't seem like its got all that great of reviews. I have not used a sub troll of any kind so I'm new to this. Just looking for the best bang for my buck lol

Make sure you look at the Fish Hawk and Smart Troll. I've heard blow back on the sub-trolls gets pretty bad when you go deep. Calumet Marine has the best price on the Fish Hawk X4D. Great service too.

The Smart Troll doesn't have the speed working yet, but it tells you the depth of your lure. The probes are $175 and can be run at the rigger or on your line. So if you know a certain amount of Cu runs 50 ft deep at 2.5 mph and your probe says you're at 40 ft, you know you are running a little faster that 2.5 mph. If your lure is at 60 ft, you're running a little slow. Darrell from Smart Troll says he hopes the speed issue will be worked out mid-summer but probes purchased now will be good for reporting speed once the issue is worked out. Also, the website mentions interference is caused when trolling above 800 rpm. Darrell said that issue has been resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and in put... I picked up a probe today finally finding one (313 mile round trip) but couldn't pass up the price. So I tried it and it works ok... I need coated cable yet I'm guessing that's why it was working sometimes and sometimes nothing