Offshore on Lake Michigan.

I generally fish out of Holland

I'm thinking about heading out to deep water for the first time this year to maybe try my luck at a few steelhead or whatever else I may find out there. I was thinking about running boards and high divers, as well as some deep rigger presentations.

Is this something people are doing already, or is the lake too cold?

Or are people just waiting for someone to try, and to report back?

From the surface temperature map it looks like 38 degree surface water is sitting about 10 miles out.

If you follow the temp breaks in the attached screenshot, that's usually the best place to find fish. I highlighted the tight lines in yellow... those are drastic temp differences. Those tight lines slowly move offshore. Typically in June you can find that break out in 300+ and the steelhead will be there.

Once the lake sets up and we get some thermoclines its a different ball game. Until then, if you follow the surface breaks, you typically find fish.

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m4.html

post-1008-14498787894499_thumb.jpg

If you follow the temp breaks in the attached screenshot, that's usually the best place to find fish. I highlighted the tight lines in yellow... those are drastic temp differences. Those tight lines slowly move offshore. Typically in June you can find that break out in 300+ and the steelhead will be there.

Once the lake sets up and we get some thermoclines its a different ball game. Until then, if you follow the surface breaks, you typically find fish.

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m4.html

Great post. Thanks for the info.

I'd fish the inside edge of where the temperature lines are bunched up on the CoastWatch map. Water is at its maximum density at 39 degrees. Warmer or colder than that will be above the 39* layer. Since there is still a bunch of 39* temps further out, all of the water at those depths will be 39* -- otherwise the warmer or colder water would be on top and not the 39* stuff. That also means that all of the warmer water is inside of those depths. The lines on the chart indicate that the water is changing temps quickly in this area and this should also setup some currents that will hold bait. If you can find some bait close to bottom that would be my favored target for some mature Kings.

FYI, the steelhead bite has been good in the 150 to 170 fow out of Holland. Which just happens to be same waters the kings are in. I hope this lasts for awhile. I caught a 10lb and an 8lb on Monday. The big one came on my downrigger 50ft down, which I found to be odd. The other was on my outside board on a 5 color lead with a carmel dolphin spoon.

Thanks for the tip. I've been fishing several times in the past week and have had very good luck from 90-150 fow for salmon. I have not tried for steelhead - although I have managed to catch a few anyways.

I have not posted any reports recently as the ones out of Holland pretty much have covered whats going on - lots of fish being caught.