I am going to be making my maiden voyage for this year tomorrow. I have never fished this early in the season. I will be heading out of Holland with my 2 boys. Any suggestions of where to start dropping lines? Also, it seems most people are just using spoons, is that right? Any paddles/flies or j-plugs this time of year? Thanks!! :lol:

Joel

We caught a couple on j-plugs on Monday night out of Port Sheldon. I would think flashers will start working consistently sometime in the next couple weeks with the temps warming, but that doesn't mean they won't work now too. I'd start in 50 FOW and spread baits around in the top 35 ft. with a variety of spoon sizes.

Start in 45fow at the harbor work on a NNW troll out to 90 or so unless you find concentrations of fish before 90fow. In that case work that depth. Magnum spoons seemed to be favored but run a few standard size as well.standard blues/greens seem to be best. Heard a few reports of body baits (rapala j-13's ect)most active fish are found in the top 3/4's of the water colum. Good luck report ur catch

I've been doing fairly well. I have been starting about 2 miles south in 55 and trolling south to about 2 miles south of Saugatuck and then back to the north, fish top to bottom with mag. Spoons in green and blue , the key is to go fast , on the south troll it's been 2.8 to 3.0 speed over ground and going north it's been 3.1 to 3.4 speed over ground. I do know there was a few cought out To 75 fow yesterday and this mornjng also.