Lexington report 5-19-14 10-3pm

Went out of Lexington today. Quite a bit of wind. 15-33' north and south of harbor. Not even a nibble. Crank baits and spoons, boards, DR, kitchen sink, old tires, mattresses...etc ..etc. 10-3pm. I guess I will move up to Sanilac next.

LB

I think the real shallow bite is done for Lexington and port Sanilac. Most guys with good catches in Port Sanilac yesterday finished 30 plus.

I fished Harbor Beach on Saturday with my kayak and caught a nice coho, a smallmouth, and lost a big fish in 28 feet of water.

I think the real shallow bite is done for Lexington and port Sanilac. Most guys with good catches in Port Sanilac yesterday finished 30 plus.

I fished Harbor Beach on Saturday with my kayak and caught a nice coho, a smallmouth, and lost a big fish in 28 feet of water.

I agree. The water was still very cold in the depths I was fishing.It did surprise me though. I had allot of 44-48 surface temps in 20'.

Thanks for the infor. I guess I will be moving on up or out farther in Sanilac.

Congrats on your catch!

LB

I'm glad the shallow bite is almost over. I am setup for more of an offshore program and enjoy that more.

I enjoy the off shore program better also. I really have to pick the days I can get far in such a small boat. What range of depth are you finding the off shore fishing best on the east side off Sanilac and HB? I'm use to fishing on the west side in a bigger boat.

LB

I normally will start at about 75 fow. If nothing is is popping there I work my way out. Once your finder lights up with bait you have arrived at your destination. With a small boat your only option is a west wind unless it is a really light wind from other directions.

I normally will start at about 75 fow. If nothing is is popping there I work my way out. Once your finder lights up with bait you have arrived at your destination. With a small boat your only option is a west wind unless it is a really light wind from other directions.

Are you finding more of your bites are coming off your boards than divers and riggers at the greater depths? Meaning that the fish seem to be higher in the water column. I have a small fish hawk that I drop with a 1oz weight with my casting rod off the back of the boat to check the water temp thru the column and then I target that zone.

Do you use more cut bait rigs over here to help the bite?

LB

For me my riggers take atleast 75% of the fish. My divers are dead some days and pick up fish others. Just started running boards last year with leadcore so I don't really have a ton to go on there. I like to fish riggers and divers a little deeper than others and it seems I pick up a few less fish, but bigger fish.

Disclaimer: This is only my 4th year running my own boat out there so...not an expert for sure.

The fish I have caught off Lexington this year all came off boards with a 70-100 leads in back of the board. They were in shallow water with crank baits (thinfish and raps). I have one manual down rigger, but it can hold up to a 20# ball. I have a 1-5 color adjustable lead core and a straight 5 color lead core. To get deeper without adding more rods with longer leads, I plan on adding dive bombs to them. I also have divers to use. I carry six rods, but only 3 can be in the water, but it lets me change faster and change lures when time permits. I usual fish alone in my small boat with my auto pilot as my silent partner.

I have been watching the reports and now that the fish are going deeper, do most of your bites come on spoons, flies , cut bait or something else that I may have missed on the eastside?

LB

I have pulled flasher/fly combos, meat rigs, and plugs. For me anyway...spoons rule Southern Lake Huron. I am also going to play around with divebombs on my leadcores to fill the gaps in depth. I usually only fish with one or two other people so I don't always even run boards. Most of the time it is 2 riggers, 3 braid divers, and 1 wire diver. All shallow water fish for me this year came on spoons, except for a smallmouth caught in harbor beach from kayak. It came on a reef runner.

Anyone know if the Lower L. Huron area producing?

Thinking about heading out for the first time this year, this weekend, and I would like to be productive...for the lil guys. Have had sucess out of Lexington in the past but was a little earlier in the year (March timeframe).