Object fell into my gastank

A freak thing happened yesterday. As I was filling up with gas and then adding my mercury ethanol additive to the tank, the little cardboard insert from the cap of the additive fell out and the wind blew it right into my gas tank spout before I could do anything about it. No way to get it - it was gone. So now there's a nickel sized piece of cardboard in my gas tank and I'm worried that I'm going to start stalling or having engine problems because of it.

The boat is a 2013 Lund Rebel Sport XL with a 4ST 75HP, and a built in 19gallon gas tank. I called the dealer today and he said that the tank has a round filter inside of the gas tank on the intake, and then two more filters on the way up to the motor itself, including the fuel filter. He wasn't sure if its really anything to worry about with all of that in place but said he was going to talk to someone else.

What do you guys think.. ? Will it break down over time? cause me trouble? Is the intake filter going to stop problems? I put another cardboard insert I had into a jar of gas in my garage yesterday and it sinks.

i would only question if it was going to clog up the filter by the intake. i think you are worrying about a non issue (i prob would too ) see if that gas in the jar eats the cardboard i would quess it would and i cant see how this does not happen often with everyone useing this stuff i bet it causes no harm.

Please keep the cardboard in the jar full of fuel and let me know what happens. I dropped one in last year and haven't seen it yet. I pulled the tank and emptied it. I removed the fuel sensor/float and looked in there. I couldn't find it. I was always taught to have a spare 5 gallon external tank on board at all times. So, with that and a spare filter. I feel like I've got nothing to worry about but, I still worry though. I would love to know what happens to that cardboard in the jar.

Hi all - thanks for the responses. I've been watching the cardboard in the jar - its only been a day but I'm not sure if anything has really changed. My guess is that it takes alot longer.

I dont know how big the intake is - although the dealer said that it deffinately is rounded andnot flat. I just hope its bigger than the nickel size of the cardboard. The way Lund boats are made - its not an easy task to open it up and take a look.

Ugh. I hear what you guys are saying - and I don't feel as bad knowing it happens to others - but you can imagine - a year old boat - it just makes me sick. I don't want to second guess every time I take her out, or every time I cross the shipping channel.

• 2 weeks later...

So far my little experiment hasn't changed - the cardboard isn't breaking down after 2 weeks.

I talked to the dealer I bought my boat from. The official word:

"The techs told me to tell you not to worry about it. The fuel filter is a long filter and will not get plugged by the cardboard." When I asked him if he meant the filter in the tank itself - he said yes.

Since I can't find any information anywhere about it otherwise - I have to take their word for it at this point. I have a boat with a nickel size piece of cardboard in the tank that I shouldn't worry about - but I will.