What does 1 color or 2 colors mean?

I'm brand new to this Big Lake fishing and am learning as I go. I just found this site and it has been really helpful! I'm bound to ask some stupid questions and here comes the first one: What does it mean when someone says they caught them on one color or 2 colors and so on?

Thanks in advance!

5-6 feet per color (10yrds per color)

Half core=5colors

Full core=10 colors

Since your new you will hear talk of copper

-it is copper line available in 30lb and 45lb and in my opinion is far more effective than lead. Has a better sink rate and flat out catches more fish. Some say cause there's no stretch = any movement of the boat in waves is transferred to the lure.

Other say it's the harmonics and vibrations the copper causes as it moves through the water.. Whatever it is it works. I will admit it is a little more pricey than lead and certainly requires some attention when deploying and retrieving(it's a pain in the rear at first) the trouble is worth it if your lookin to put fish in the boat. Many anglers have several reels spooled up with different lengths in order to effectively fish whtever depth the fish are at. I believe 30lb goes down 6-7ft per 10 yards

And the 45lb goes 8-9 per 10 yrds

Hands down a 250 and 300' of 45lb copper puts the majority of fish in my box

dont let them mess with you it means 2 or 3 colors was how many your spoon had on it! kidding but when i was a mate thats what new customers always thought we were talking about. and like the other poster i like copper over leadcore.

I just picked up some suffix advanced leadcore. It advertises 30% deeper than standard leadcore. Based on the claims of a 7-8 foot dive per 10 yards it puts it on par with copper. At 2.0 mph 300 feet of 45# blood run copper dives 70 feet and a full core of the new leadcore dives the same. After fighting a fish earlier this week on the new suffix I will have to say the sensitivity was much better than the old leadcore and even better than the copper since the new line is so much lighter. Also much, much easier to deploy.

The downside is the price. Wow its expensive! Like many of you i already have a bunch of money invested in copper. But if your just starting out it may make sense to give this stuff a try.

Wow! I didn't expect this kind of response and help! Follow up question, when fishing lead core or copper do you use planner boards and if so do you attach the boards to the lead core or copper or the the backing after all the lead core or copper is out?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes you use boards. No you don't attach the board to the copper or leadcore as you could ruin the line.

Depending on the setup many people will use power pro braided line for backing, then attach 10-30 yards of mono to attach boards, then the leadcore or copper and then the leader.

If you have big enough reels you can just use a mono backer, the copper or lead and then the leader.

ruder answered your follow up question perfectly in my opinion .depend on your boat and where you fish and how many other rods you have out you may want to run one down the middle ,not on a board, also. i have a spot with a lot of strutcere that changes rapidly and gets a fair amount of boat traffic though everyone is good about giveing room. if i am over a depth i want to target i will run the appropriate set up down the middle as on a board it would be shallower than i want and may hit bottom.

I use both leadcore and copper depending on the time of year. Early spring the lead core 2 color to 7 colors is killer in water under 100' of depth. Copper in deeper water presentations. In spring my leadcore out fishes just about all of my other presentations. Kings, coho and steelhead are higher in the water column than Lake trout. I very seldom go for Lake trout unless I am trying to get some grease for the smoker or someone on board request them. My catch this spring has so far been more Kings than anything else and probably 50% have been on leadcore. If you are new try to ride along with some of the seasoned guys on this site. I always have room for another guy in St. Joe. I usually fish Thursdays and Sundays. This week we are fishing Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. PM if you want to ride along, just be prepared to share the gas bill.

Thanks for the offer Mike, but I am out of town this weekend. I would love to ride along sometime, and would be happy share the gas bill and then some. Maybe next week or the week after. Thanks again!

You can also run lead or copper off the back center of the boat refered to as down the shoot ussually one rod very common very difficult to run more than one off back because if the amount of line let out end up with a real mess with turns and currents. As mentioned best with planners off side 50ft or so apart and always ur deepest or furthest out closest to the boat example: five color out off side 150 ft , 7 color 100ft off side of the boat and 10 color 50ft off side of the boat this way if fish hit furthest out as the fish comes behind the boat it comes over top of the other lines ideally,hopefully,ussually :thumb:

You can also run lead or copper off the back center of the boat refered to as down the shoot ussually one rod very common very difficult to run more than one off back because if the amount of line let out end up with a real mess with turns and currents. As mentioned best with planners off side 50ft or so apart and always ur deepest or furthest out closest to the boat example: five color out off side 150 ft , 7 color 100ft off side of the boat and 10 color 50ft off side of the boat this way if fish hit furthest out as the fish comes behind the boat it comes over top of the other lines ideally,hopefully,ussually :thumb: