Lexington 5-10-14 10am-3pm

Got a chance to try out my new autopilot and catch some fish. 2nd time out of Lexington in my "Littleboat". It was like having an extra fishing partner who keep you on path perfectly. Also, met Mike who joined me as a walk on when his normal fishing buddies couldn't make it. It was a beautiful but very windy day. My drags were set a little too tight since I'm use to fishing on the Lake Michigan side. We might have caught the other two that we lost, if they were lighter. Caught the one(4# 22") and lost one on a crank bait (gold Rapala F11 size) that had beads inside it on a one color lead core. It makes allot of noise in the water. Lost a thinfish red/gold and almost a board on the other one, but we were able to get the board back before the wind blew it away (20+mph at times). I'm glad the wind was from the west most of the time. We were in 10' south of harbor a few miles. Water temp was 48-50. No bites on the spoons with bright colors. The bites came in the shallower water for us.

Good luck to the rest of you.

LB

post-4038-14498787891129_thumb.jpg

Edited by littleboat
added size of fish

What speed were you going with your autopilot? I have an iPilot with my Minkota that I use on LSC - but it's 55# and can push me tops 2mph. (So I always end up using my main motor in Huron when fishing for Salmon, Trout to get up between 2.5 and 3mph)

Great report; seems that the fish are still there in the shallows. I'm going to head out tomorrow morning - a little earlier than I usually do - I should hit the water around 7 latest.

When you say they didnt hit bright spoons - does that mean they hit dark ones?

What speed were you going with your autopilot? I have an iPilot with my Minkota that I use on LSC - but it's 55# and can push me tops 2mph. (So I always end up using my main motor in Huron when fishing for Salmon, Trout to get up between 2.5 and 3mph)

Great report; seems that the fish are still there in the shallows. I'm going to head out tomorrow morning - a little earlier than I usually do - I should hit the water around 7 latest.

When you say they didnt hit bright spoons - does that mean they hit dark ones?

I didn't use any dark spoons, so I can't confirm what you asked. I have an I-pilot also, but only use it trolling in the river or a small lake.When you have 2ft waves you might be limited with an I-pilot for control. The autopilot(Raymarine) I would run at 2.3mph, but I can run it as fast or as slow as the boat will go if I want. I also have a trolling plate which lets me get down to a crawl .1mph should I choose. It has some automatic fish patterns built in also, should I want to use them. It makes fishing allot easier and solo fishing much easier to do. I'm going to head out Monday out of Lexington weather permitting.

LB

Wow - so the autopilot works off of the main motor? I have the same problem - in that I mostly fish alone and - when I'm not gunning for walleye in LSC (which the ipilot does a great job of) its hell to keep the boat on track in waves and wind while fishing by myself using the main motor. Last week in Lexington was work - I'm hoping the waves and wind are nicer tomorrow.

Wow - so the autopilot works off of the main motor? I have the same problem - in that I mostly fish alone and - when I'm not gunning for walleye in LSC (which the ipilot does a great job of) its hell to keep the boat on track in waves and wind while fishing by myself using the main motor. Last week in Lexington was work - I'm hoping the waves and wind are nicer tomorrow.

The autopilot works the main motor. It's like having a silent fishing partner. The weather looks good to fish. Good Luck.

LB