Lexington 5/10 Salmon, Trout

I bought dipsys late last year in hopes of getting some salmon and trout - and tried them in deeper water off Lexington. Needless to say it was a no go - lesson learned.

But now.. since the fish are in closer this time of year (15'-30' according to DNR report this week), that means I probably only want to drop my spoons down 15' - which, if I use the dipsys, means only putting out 30'-35' of line behind the boat, which isn't much.

I have to use the main motor to push me along at 2-3mph. My trolling motor wont go that fast. Wont the fish be spooked by the prop if the line is only 30'-35' out and 15' down? Does anyone have any experience with shallow water salmon and trout fishing that they can share? Should I skip the dipsys and use inline weights?

Wow thanks! Slide divers look interesting - I didn't know they existed - what a great idea. I hope the bait shop in Port Huron has them in the morning. If they don't, how far back is "far enough" from the boat with my regular dipsys? I'll be out alone so the leader has to be a reasonable length for me to be able to net a fish.

I'm seeing the 15-30' FOW in the DNR reports - but can anyone chime in - are they still that close in? Spoons or body baits? (I have a some deep diving bombers I can use if spoons aren't working out.)

When I fished early season there many years ago, the Bomber Long A was the rage. I'm thinking I ran them with a little weight off an inline board. Wonderbread was my go to pattern back in the day. Don't know it that is something that would still work there or not.

I fished Port Sanilac last Sunday both hits came on walker dipsys (107's) in around 30 feet of water. One dipsy on 3 and the other on 1. 50 feet of line out with 8 foot leaders. The first was definitely a king that was gonna spool me. I tried to slow him down a bit and it pulled the hook. Second was a 10 lb laker. Was using my main motor.

I tried to keep it at about 2.5-3mph. Dipseys and spoons 15'-20' down - 35-40' back, Fished from 8am-2pm - cycled through different dipseys w/ spoons, and body baits - had only one strike. Hooked him, and fought him up to the boat - but lost him before I could get the net in the water. He had a blueish silver shine in the sun whatever it was. I'd say it was somewhere around 20-24".

I only saw a handful of boats and the Lexington parking lot was not full. I wonder if the fish have moved on already?

I will let you know if they have moved. if I can get up there this week. I caught a king in 10' last Saturday and lost 2 others on body baits. Another guy reported catching more fish in the 30-40' range with nice pictures and on spoons in inline wts off Lexington. I don't have to work anymore so I fish during the week.

LB

I sure am glad I found this board - very helpful for a guy who is just learning the art of southern Huron, Salmon, Trout. I grew up all over Lake Saint Clair - but it's a whole different ballgame.

Not working and fishing during the week. Sounds pretty good! If you could just get paid for it!

Now I just have to decide whether to go up on Sunday, or start poking around LSC for stray walleye. Looking forward to see what you find up there.

Walker Deeper Divers 107,s 8' leaders small spoons and power pro30# out 25 and 30, on the 8th of may 3 man limit in 2and 1/2 hours, divers took 7 of these 15 fish. Don't overthink the deal just use them. This was on May 8, 2014. 15 to 40 FOW.

dsc01796_thumb.jpg

In the later summer we use wire divers I like the Walker deeper diver #124,s for my deep divers and 107,s for my hi divers. long leaders up to 30 feet but be sure to use at least 30lb leader then u have to pull them to the net hand over hand like the salt water guys. Divers will catch fish when the riggers don't .

So what's the concensus guys? It's Friday and I'm trying to decide between fishing for eyes down in LSC or trying my luck one more time in Huron.

Where, and how deep are they now? Anyone having any luck around Lex this week?

Something we have not pointed out here is timing. Is there a sweet spot in the morning hours for Salmon & Trout? It could be that I got out there too late last week.

Dawn to maybe 8 or 9am is prime. Depending on water and sky, as it gets brighter, fish deeper and farther away from the boat.

Prop wash kings are very common. A few years back I took a dandy King on a free slider with the rigger down 30'.

Walleye are said to be spooky. The world famous SeaMac took a nice walleye while we fished in 12 FOW on an crawler harness dangling in the prop wash waiting to be baited.

Time to make this into a proper report. On my fourth visit to Huron (Lexington) over the course of 2 years, I finally produced 3 fish.

All three hit on dipsys @ 15' down, no rings, in 23' @ 2.5-3mph. One between 7-9am, the other two all at once around 2:20pm. All on the same lure - dreamweaver skunkstripe, black with orange.

They were a little sluggish and not much of a fight. I still would like to know what hit so hard the week before (That I later lost boatside when I saw a flash of silver blue and he was gone)

Wife is happy anyways - she cleaned them up and is planning how to cook them.

post-5394-14498787893801_thumb.jpg

We caught a bunch of those little pinks on Sunday outta Port Sanilac. We drug a few around for a while. Lost a nice fish and caught a 10 pound laker as well. All the Pinkie Tuscaderos came on orange crush and the laker came on a yellow tail. Fish we lost hit a glow wonderbread.

Great job getting your first Lexington fish!

Pinks are everywhere out there right now. When you pull them from water you can see the spots on their back and tail and they have a pink tint to their sides. It is tough to tell the diff because they lose scales just like cohos.