I have an 18' mod v that we use for other things, you would not catch me out on lake Michigan in it. Way too many things out side of your control and the norm happen out there. 2 footers would be rough, but then you get the 3+ that comes out of no where. The 45' boat goes by throwing a 4' wake. My suggestion is don't do it.

yes you can do it but safety has to be top priority and maybe 2 footers would be to much. you will have to find out what the boat handles and what you can handle. then i would only go out in less allowing for conditions getting worse, pull lines and go in when the weather starts to take the slightest turn. find a couple ports you like and always try to have a couple spots north and south so you can run back with the waves.

I think you'll be okay fishing close to the piers in the spring and fall, but I wouldn't chase them 4 miles out in the summer, when a storm can pop up and catch you out there before you can motor in.

Freshwater lakes have a short wave frequency, which is a major reason so many small boats sink. The shorter the boat, the more effect the short frequency waves have, and if you add height to the waves, they could be rolling over the bow in a mod v pretty quickly.

Just stay close and head in at the first sign of worsening conditions, despite what your passengers are telling you.

Thanks for joining and welcome. If the budget will allow for it, consider a used boat that is bigger and made for Lk. Michigan salmon fishing. Several are in the classifieds here at GLF that have been well cared for, and are reasonably priced too. Many years ago I decided to go no smaller than 26' for a starter, but, you could consider 22' and up.

You'll be OK if...you limit your activity to those "bluebird" days with a forecast of calm to 2' seas, only leave the harbor when that condition is verified and get off the lake at the first sign of building wind. Even on the nicest days, there's a fair weather wind that many days, begins to build mid morning. If you're disiplined enough to caution on the side of safety, there should be no problem. I've seen kayaks, canoes and inflatable dinghys all trolling. Not saying that's real smart, but there are conditions that allow most anything. The issue is always the fish are a little farther away or you'll fish "just a little longer" and get into a situation that's not the best. If the primary use for the boat is great lakes trolling, go as large as your budget allows. If fishing beyond the immediate harbor area, 18' would probably be my minimum and not all 18' boats would qualify. I fished a 17' Yarcraft for several years and that felt a little small to get away from the harbor too far. I always had the feeling of being a speck in the ocean in that boat...which I was.

Can you, yes. Should you, probably not. Smallest boat I have owned that I felt safe in on Lake Michigan was a 18' center console aluminum with twin 55 hp outboards. Went out to ~10 miles which on southern Lake Michigan would be 120' or so. Up north that could get to 200'+ depending on the port. For fishing it was okay up to 2' breakers and 3' swells to run in on. Trying to run on plane in 2' breakers or more in a small boat is difficult and if seas are building that's when you will likely need to get to port as fast as you can.

If you are serious about fishing Lake Michigan for salmon, go a little bigger. The cost isn't gong to be that much different. A 16' mod V even with reasonably high sides is going limit you to spring and fall fishing near shore at best. Fishing in 2' seas from a 16' mod V isn't fun. Lots of people have tried it and it generally causes twofootitis in short order. It happens every couple of years with salmon fishing anyway but sooner and more frequently if a boat isn't big enough to chase the finny critters.