Networking Lowrance HDS

Hi guys, I'm setting up my new rig. I have never networked any electronics before so I want to make sure I'm getting this right. I am putting a HDS 12 and HDS 5 on my dash. I plan to only use one transducer. Will the Ethernet cable ran between the two units give me the ability to share that transducer or do I need more stuff? Thanks -Nick

nick, all you have to do is run the transducer cable to one of the hds units (your choice) and yes the Ethernet cable will run from that unit to the other.

I have a hds8 at the transom and a hds10 up in cockpit, and the Ethernet connects them.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I switched some units around this year, leaving a hds on the dash and one at the back of the hard top. My transducer cable is connected to the unit on the dash with an Ethernet cable run to the other unit. If I have both units turned on but "network sonar" not selected the unit on the dash works perfect as it should. When I switch them to "network sonar" both sonar screens go blank. This led me to The devise list under Menu, network. neither unit is recognizing the other to be hooked up. I tried a different Ethernet cable to make sure that wasn't the problem and had the same results. At this point I assume I have something setup wrong on the units, or there is something wrong with the unit I purchased over winter as the other networked fine last year. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Nick are you running a network or just the Ethernet cable, Sounds like your running the wrong cable.

A single cable run between the 2 units will work , if your on a network then you need terminator on each end of the network.

If you go to Lowrance's website you can look it up . When you first turn on the 2 units you should have each one automatically setup the network . at that point they should recognize each other.

are you connecting on the yellow port on the back marked ENET ? If your on the nema2k its the wrong port . You can also try not having the sonar connected to make sure its not the problem. Here is the page showing the Ethernet cables that you would use.

post-2377-14498788147627_thumb.jpg

post-2377-14498788147831_thumb.jpg

I am just running the Ethernet cable. I had a HDS 5 (which is the unit the transducer is hooked up to) connected to a friend's HDS 12 with a 6' Ethernet cable last year with no issues. When he returns to fish for the summer we will again have that same setup. I purchased an additional HDS 5 this winter which I put on the back of my hardtop for ease of sight when in the rear of the boat. I have the two HDS 5's currently connected with a 27' Ethernet cable, after this setup failed to work after first hookup I tried the new unit with the 6' cable that I know works and had the same results. I was hoping that I am just missing something with the setup menu or something simple that I have overlooked. I am beginning to believe that the new unit may have some issues..

It may be one of the hds5 units , I had some issues and lowrance replace my hds5

Under warranty with a hds5 gen 2 . I don't recall the exact issue , but there were some , and it may be because of the gen2 software. You can call lowrance or even check there trouble shooting for answers they are very helpful over the phone