rudder reference for raymarine spx-5r?

I have ran mine for 2 years without one, but have purchaed one and adding it this year before putting in the water.

The problem I am having is the system is always working to try and keep the boat straight, and it cannot compensate because it does not know what position the rudder is in.

I hope it cures my problem.

It used to be mandatory on hydraulic steering with the SportPilot and significantly improved the unit on mechanical steering. Basically with hydraulic steering there was no way for the AP to know how far the boat steering had been turned and the pump would continue to run even though the rudder was full over. On mechanical the RR made the steering more efficient.

As I understand it the newer Raymarine units rely on much better gyro and GPS information and consequently don't need the RR. I think I would give it a try without it and add it if you need it. It isn't hard to add later -- mount the RR sensor and run the cable to the control head.

It used to be mandatory on hydraulic steering with the SportPilot and significantly improved the unit on mechanical steering. Basically with hydraulic steering there was no way for the AP to know how far the boat steering had been turned and the pump would continue to run even though the rudder was full over. On mechanical the RR made the steering more efficient.

As I understand it the newer Raymarine units rely on much better gyro and GPS information and consequently don't need the RR. I think I would give it a try without it and add it if you need it. It isn't hard to add later -- mount the RR sensor and run the cable to the control head.

The new EV sport pilots come with it and they recommend using it. I talked to raymarine about it and they said you can set the angel and hard over time but it is still no where near as accurate as having the rudder reference. It is also protection from stripping the gears in the motor as it will never hit the stops if it is installed and working properly. I had done like they said i would have had problems as it is set at 30 degrees port and starboard. You also need to set the hard over time which is a calculation that you have to make after timing the device steer from hard port to hard starboard and then enter that into the unit and that is what tells the computer where your center rudder is. Again he said your unit will search for that point and work a lot more. Mine when the rudder reference calibrated showed me 27 degrees port and 28 degree starboard.

The gyro replaces the fluxgate compass and makes keeping a heading easier.

Let me know when you are going to install it i am in Jenison and can come over and maybe help you out. I made a lot of phone calls to ray marine before installing mine. Is yours last years model with the flux gate compass.

Yes mine has the compass still, I didn't realize they were shipping the new evo with it, wish I woulda known that I would have just bought the new one

I'd appreciate the help, I'm north of Zeeland, Baldwin and 96 area

Yes mine has the compass still, I didn't realize they were shipping the new evo with it, wish I woulda known that I would have just bought the new one

I'd appreciate the help, I'm north of Zeeland, Baldwin and 96 area

Who did you buy it through can you maybe upgrade to the newer one?

Ya I'm thinking I'll try without this year, when I looked at the website it didn't show the Evo coming with a rudder reference...maybe you got lucky. Don't think I can throw the 600 extra dollars at the new model right now,

I have had mine a couple years without the rudder reference it works pretty good. Was planning on adding the reference this year but gotta save for a new motor instead. Without the rudder reference you will need to make adjustments to the response settings and anti rudder settings to match wave and wind conditions. More than a few times I have had to make change to the AP while trolling because wind and waves changed. Some of this is due to my personal setting to begin with Since I prefer to keep the boat quiet so I run with slower response settings because in my boat most have problems driving due to over steering. So on a calm day or certain troll patterns I crank the response way down and let the boat pretty much sit the troll on it's own. Doing this is much nicer than hearing it constantly trying to steer but a large gust of wind or a set of waves from a passing boat can bump you off course.

I have had mine a couple years without the rudder reference it works pretty good. Was planning on adding the reference this year but gotta save for a new motor instead. Without the rudder reference you will need to make adjustments to the response settings and anti rudder settings to match wave and wind conditions. More than a few times I have had to make change to the AP while trolling because wind and waves changed. Some of this is due to my personal setting to begin with Since I prefer to keep the boat quiet so I run with slower response settings because in my boat most have problems driving due to over steering. So on a calm day or certain troll patterns I crank the response way down and let the boat pretty much sit the troll on it's own. Doing this is much nicer than hearing it constantly trying to steer but a large gust of wind or a set of waves from a passing boat can bump you off course.

thanks for the feedback guys, I've been able to troll a mile without touching the wheel before so hopefully it will perform well without it.